Rogelio Bernal Andreo
|Rogelio Bernal Andreo|
Award-winning photo of the Orion constellation
9 January 1969 |
Wentworth Institute of Technology, (BSc 1995)
Rogelio Bernal Andreo (born 9 January 1969) is a Spanish-American astrophotographer. He is known for his photographs of deep sky objects. His work has been recognized by NASA as their Picture of the Day. Andreo's photography has been published in international magazines and periodicals, as well as television networks including the BBC, National Geographic, and the Discovery Channel series Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking.
After earning his Bachelors degree, Andreo moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, where he worked for Netscape Communications and eBay as lead software engineer. In 2008, he started exploring astrophotography as a hobby and developed a personal style defined by deep wide field images that has led to international recognition and a meaningful influence on the discipline. His work has included using post-processing techniques not very common at the time of their introduction, and he has written of his use of multi-scale processing techniques.
Andreo's work has appeared on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day, in addition to publications such as Astronomy Magazine, Ciel et Espace, Sky and Telescope, National Geographic, as well as television networks such as the BBC, National Geographic, and the Discovery Channel series Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking. Two of his Orion wide field images were used in the Orion's flyby scene for the Hubble 3D motion picture.
His image, "Orion, from Head to Toes" was selected by Discover Magazine's Bad Astronomy, as the best astronomy picture of 2010. It was the first time this award was given to an amateur astronomer.
Honors and awards
- 2009: Astronomy Magazine – Deep Sky category in the astroimaging contest (Winner)
- 2010: Advanced Imaging Conference Board of Directors – (Pleiades Award Winner)
- 2010: Discover Magazine's Bad Astronomy – The Top Astronomy Picture of 2010 (Winner)
- 2010: Royal Observatory Greenwich – Astronomy Photographer of the Year, Deep Space category (Winner)
- 2011: Royal Observatory Greenwich – Astronomy Photographer of the Year, Deep Space category (Highly Commended)
- 2011: Astronomical Association of Northern California – Outstanding contribution to Amateur Astronomy (Winner)
- 2011: SBIG's Hall of Fame – For excellence in astronomical imaging (Winner)
- 2012: Royal Observatory Greenwich – Astronomy Photographer of the Year, Deep Space category (Runner-up)
- Arrington, Michael (8 March 2007). "CoRank Launches Twist on Social Bookmarking". AOL Inc. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Advanced Imaging Conference (2011). "Advanced Imaging Conference 2010 Pleiades Award Recipient Rogelio Bernal Andreo". Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Madrigal, Alexis (6 October 2009). "The Making of a Mind-Blowing Space Photo". Wired Magazine. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Andreo, Rogelio Bernal (March/April 2012). "A Multi-Scale Processing Technique for Astronomical Images - Part 3". AstroPhoto Insight 8 (2).
- "SBIG Hall of Fame". SBIG Astronomical Instruments, a division of Aplegen. Inc. December 19, 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Summers, Frank; Bacon, Greg; Frattare, Lisa; Levay, Zolt (12 January 2010). "Science, Data, & Art in the Imax Film "Hubble 3D"". Space Telescope Science Institute. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Phil Plait (December 14, 2010). "The Top Astronomy Picture of 2010: Orion, from head to toe". Bad Astronomy. Discover Magazine. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- Bakich, Michael E. (September 2009). "Astronomy's 2009 Astroimaging Contest". Astronomy Magazine (EBSCOhost Connection) 37 (9): 56. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Astronomy Photographer of the Year". Focus Magazine. Immediate Media Company Bristol Limited. September 2010. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "Astronomy Photographer of the Year at the Royal Observatory Greenwich – 2011 Winners Announced". Press Office and News. Royal Museums Greenwich. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "The AANC has recognized the following for outstanding and continuous support in distinguishing and fostering Amateur Astronomy.". Awards. Astronomical Association of Northern California. September 2011. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2012". Press Office and News. Royal Museums Greenwich. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Official website
- Orion in Gas, Dust, and Stars – A deep exposure showing the dark nebulae and star clusters of the Orion constellation
- Orion: Head to Toe – Orion constellation showing Betelgeuse, Rigel, Orion's belt and the Orion Molecular Cloud Complex
- Dark River, Wide Field – Panorama stretching from Sagittarius to Scorpius showing the Dark Rift and the extraordinary starfield surrounding the Galactic center.
- Pleiades to Hyades – Image highlighting the Taurus constellation from the Pleiades star cluster to the Hyades
- Cepheus: Trunk to Bubble – Skyscape of the Cepheus constellation showing the large emission nebula known as the Elephant's Trunk nebula
- The Seagull and the Duck – Emission nebula in Canis Major spanning about 250 light years across