||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
Roger Ballen was born in New York City, New York, USA in 1950. He has lived in Johannesburg since the 1970s. Beginning by documenting the small dorps or villages of rural South Africa, Ballen starting photographing the inhabitants of these places in the late 1980s and early 1990s. His fifth book 'Outland' produced by Phaidon Press in 2001 was the result.
In the fall of 2005, Phaidon press produced its second book by the artist, entitled 'Shadow Chamber'. The book focuses on interactions between people, animals, and/or objects. Ballen’s recent work enters into a new realm of photography — the images are painterly and sculptural in ways not immediately associated with photographs.
Through collaboration on some of Die Antwoord's music videos, which have received more than 30 million hits on YouTube, Ballen's paintings and sculpture have gained broader exposure globally. Yolandi Visser said about him: "Mr. Ballen is like, the weirdest person I've ever met in my life."
Ballen's work was recently selected for a solo exhibition in the Smithsonian Institute's Museum of African Art titled Lines, Marks, and Drawings: Through the Lens of Roger Ballen.
- Asylum of the Birds, London: Thames and Hudson, 2014.
- Roger Ballen, Paris: Nathan, Photo Poche series, 2012.
- Animal Abstraction, Exhibition catalogue Galerie Alex Daniels, Amsterdam: Reflex, 2011
- Boarding House, London: Phaidon, 2009.
- Shadow Chamber, London: Phaidon, 2005.
- Fact or Fiction, Paris: Kamel Mennour, 2003, ISBN 291417109-9.
- Outland, London: Phaidon, 2001.
- Cette Afrique là, Paris: Nathan, Photo Poche series, 1997.
- Platteland, Rivonia (ZA): William Waterman, and London: Quartet Books, 1994; New York: St. Martin's, 1996.
- Dorps: Small Towns of South Africa, Cape Town: Hirt and Carter, 1986. (Reprinted by Protea Boekhuis, 2011)
- Boyhood, New York/London: Chelsea House, 1979.
- Art Directors Club Award Photography - 2006
- Selma Blair Witch Project - New York Times Magazine, October 31, 2005
- Top 10 Exhibition, Matthew Higgs, Artforum-2004
- Citigroup Prize, finalist, UK - 2002
- Photographer of the Year,Rencontres d' Arles - 2002
- Top 10 Exhibition, Vince Aletti, Artforum - 2002
- PhotoEspana, Best Photographic Book of the Year, Spain - 2001
- Photo-eye, Best Documentary Title, Best Photography Books of 2001
- Sani Festival, Best Solo Exhibition, Greece, 2000
- Special mention: UNICEF Photo of the Year 2001
- Berkeley Art Museum, California, USA
- Brooklyn Museum, New York, USA
- Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
- Durban Museum, South Africa
- Galeria de Arte La Aurora, Murcia, Spain
- Fotomuseum, Munchen, Germany
- George Eastman House, Rochester NY, USA
- Hasselblad Center, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Johannesburg Art Museum, South Africa
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, USA
- Louisiana Museum, Denmark
- Maison Europene de la Photographie, Paris, France
- Musee Nicephore Niepce, France
- Museet for Fotokunst, Denmark
- Musee de la Photographie a Charleroi, Belgium
- Museum Folkwang, Essen, Germany
- Museo nazionale Della Fotographia, Italy
- Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego, USA
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, USA
- Museum of Modern Art, New York, USA
- National Gallery, Cape Town, South Africa
- Spencer Art Museum, Kansas, USA
- Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London, England
- "Manchester City Galleries - Shadow Land: Photographs by Roger Ballen 1983-2011". Manchestergalleries.org. 2012-03-30. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- "Photos with reflection on the psyche – Roger Ballen in interview | SÜDAFRIKA – Land der Kontraste". 2010sdafrika.wordpress.com. 2011-03-20. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- "Roger Ballen behind the scenes with Die Antwoord". Phaidon.com. Retrieved 2012-10-17.
- "Die Antwoord I Fink U Freeky". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- Yolandi Visser (13 November 2012). Die Antwoord - "Fatty Boom Boom" - The Making Of. Noisey / YouTube. Event occurs at 3:38 until 3:54 (Yolandi talking about Ballen). Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Interview: MAD LIBS by Roger Ballen". boygirl Magazine. Retrieved 2013-06-09.
|This biographical article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2009)|
- Roger Ballen Official site
- kamel mennour - Roger Ballen
- Roger Ballen in conversation with Darius Himes (SVA November 9, 2009)
- 10-minute video interview with Roger Ballen (2010)
- Roger Ballen at Xavier Hufkens, Brussels
- Audio interview with Roger Ballen (2008) plus 25 photographs
- Newspaper article, The Age (Australian)
- Roger Ballen Frieze Magazine. Published on 12/10/09 by Sean O'Toole.
- Roger Ballen about his book Dorps clip from documentary film 'Selfportrait, Roger Ballen' 2002.