||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
He began euphonium lessons at twelve and at sixteen entered Colchester College to study music. On graduating, and after a period of busking in London (where he briefly shared a house with artists Mark Wallinger and Andy Dog), he returned to Colchester to run a music therapy course at a local hospital for the mentally handicapped.
His first recording experience was with his brother Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois for the album Apollo at Lanois’ Grant Avenue Studios in Canada. His first solo album, Voices, appeared shortly afterwards.
Although mainly regarded as a pianist, Roger Eno is in fact a multi-instrumentalist and keen singer as demonstrated on his later solo albums and collaborations. He has worked with several key artists apart from his brother including Bill Nelson, No-Man, Lol Hammond, Mads Arp, Peter Hammill, Tim Bowness, and Michael Brook, the most successful of which was probably his co-written album, The Familiar, with Kate St John. His highest-rated and most popular album on Amazon is Voices.
Roger performs live on occasion and continues to write soundtracks. Much of his music has been used in films, including For All Mankind, Nine and a Half Weeks, Warm Summer Rain, and The Jacket, while his tracks have been used in advertisements, including for Nissan and Japan Railways.
Roger has recently recorded solo albums for, and established an online shop via, the UK-based internet label, Burning Shed. In 2007, he had contributed to the Mid/Air LP by Dive Index, a collaborative music project of composer/producer Will Thomas.
- Apollo (with Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois) (Virgin) - (1983)
- Voices (EG Records, Virgin) - (1985)
- Between Tides (All Saints Records) - (1988)
- Music for Films III (Opal Records) - (1988)
- Islands (with Laraaji) (Voiceprint Records, La Cooka Ratcha) - (1989)
- In a Room (with Harmonia Ensemble) - (1993)
- The Familiar (with Kate St John) (All Saints Records) - (1993)
- Automatic (as part of Channel Light Vessel) (All Saints Records) - (1994)
- Harmonia meets Zappa (with Harmonia Ensemble) (Materiali Sonori) - (1994)
- Lost In Translation (All Saints Records) - (1995)
- The Night Garden (Voiceprint Records, La Cooka Ratcha) - (1995)
- Swimming (All Saints Records) - (1996)
- Excellent Spirits (as part of Channel Light Vessel) (All Saints Records) - (1996)
- The Music of Neglected English Composers (Voiceprint Records, Resurgence) - (1997)
- The Flatlands (All Saints Records) - (1998)
- Damage (with Lol Hammond) (All Saints Records) - (1999)
- The Appointed Hour (with Peter Hammill) (FIE! Records) - (1999)
- Classical Music for Those with No Memory (with Garosi, Puliti, Odori) - (2000)
- The Long Walk (Voiceprint Records, La Cooka Ratcha) - (2000)
- Getting Warmer (Burning Shed Records) - (2002)
- Fragile (Music) (Burning Shed Records) - (2005)
- At Lincoln Cathedral: Roger Eno (Live) - (2005)
- Transparencies (with Plumbline) - (2006)
- Anatomy (Burning Shed Records) - (2008)
- Flood (Burning Shed Records) - (2008)
- Gagné, Nicole V. (2012). Historical dictionary of modern and contemporary classical music. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. p. 91. ISBN 9780810879621.