14 February 1967 |
|Area(s)||Artist, writer, letterer|
Langridge originally came to public prominence most notably with the Judge Dredd Megazine series The Straitjacket Fits (written by David Bishop), a surreal, hallucinatory, convention-bending strip set in an insane asylum with a cast of characters who realised they were in a comic strip and burst from the edge of the frame.
His cartoon style proved perfect for the series and he continued to work for the Megazine, in addition to a series of comedy books dedicated to his Buster Keaton-inspired character Fred the Clown, which he wrote and drew as a webcomic before self-publishing the material as small press titles. These were collected as a single volume by Fantagraphics Books in 2004. His work on Fred the Clown was nominated for two Eisner Awards, a Harvey Award, a Reuben Award and an Ignatz Award. Langridge also does illustration work.
Langridge has provided the Fin Fang Four, with Scott Gray, first for Marvel Monsters, then a series of short stories and in late 2008 as a digital comic on Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited.
In 2012, he scripted for IDW a four-issue Popeye miniseries, illustrated by Bruce Ozella, so successful that even before the second issue it was expanded into an "ongoing" series, according to Langridge.
Comic work includes:
- Razor #8 Associates in "Searching" (with writer Cornelius Stone (1988)
- Art d'Ecco (with Andrew Langridge, in Art d'Ecco #1-4, Fantagraphics, 1990–1992)
- Zoot! (with Andrew Langridge - six-issue series, Fantagraphics, 1993–1994)
- Knuckles the Malevolent Nun (with co-creator Cornelius Stone, in Knuckles #1 & 2, 1991 and A1 (Series 1) #5, 1991)
- "Frankenstein Meets Shirley Temple" (in A1 (Series 2) #1-4, 1992)
- Judge Dredd:
- The Straitjacket Fits (with David Bishop):
- "The Straitjacket Fits" (in Judge Dredd Megazine #1.09-1.20, 1991–1992)
- "The Final Fit" (in Judge Dredd Yearbook 1993 1992)
- Fred the Clown, Les Cartoonistes Dangereux, 1999.
- "The Story of a Nut Gone Bad..." (in Flinch #13, DC, 2000)
- Fred the Clown #1-5, self-published, 2001-2002.
- Batman: "Auteurism" (with John Arcudi, in Legends of the Dark Knight #162-163, DC, 2003)
- "Abe Sapien Star of the B.P.R.D." (with John Arcudi, in Hellboy: Weird Tales, #4, Dark Horse, 2003)
- Whatever Happened To?: "Cookie" (with Simon Spurrier, in Judge Dredd Megazine #2.17, 2004)
- Fett Club (with Kevin Rubio, in Star Wars Tales 24, Dark Horse, 2005)
- A story in the Bizarro World anthology, DC, 2005.
- Marvel Monsters: "Fin Fang Four" (with Scott Gray, 2005)
- "Moleman's Christmas" (with Shaenon Garrity, in Marvel Christmas Special #1, Marvel, 2006)
- "How Fin Fang Foom Saves Christmas " (with Scott Gray, in Marvel Christmas Special 2006 #1, Marvel, 2007)
- "Return of the Fin Fang Four: Shrink Rap" (with Scott Gray, in Avengers Giant-Size #1, Marvel, 2008)
- The Muppet Show (Boom Studios, 2009)
- Thor: The Mighty Avenger (Marvel, 2010)
- Muppets Presents: Family Reunion (Marvel, 2011)
- Snarked! #0,1-12 (Boom! Studios, 2011-2012)
- Popeye #1-12 (IDW Publishing, 2012-2013)
- Knuckles the Malevolent Nun 1: No More Mrs. Nice Nun, with Cornelius Stone, Antipodes Publishing, 2003.
- Fred the Clown, Fantagraphics Books, 2004.
- The Louche and Insalubrious Escapades of Art d'Ecco, with Andrew Langridge, Fantagraphics Books, 2006.
For Doctor Who magazine he did one-panel humorous images for the "Review" section. He also does a weekly illustration for the UK TV magazine Inside Soap.
- Fred, Mugwhump & More: Talking to Roger Langridge, Newsarama, 2 September 2008
- Marvel Revives Classic Monsters in October, Newsarama, 8 July 2005
- Previews: Marvel Holiday Special, Ult Vision #1, Newsarama, 5 December 2006
- Giant-Size Avengers III: The Return of Fin Fang Four, Newsarama, 23 November 2007
- Marvel Digital: Roger Langridge Talks Fin Fang Four, Newsarama, 21 October 2008
- O'Shea, Tim (13 July 2009). "Talking Comics with Tim: Roger Langridge". Robot 6. Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- The Orbiting Pod #65: Roger Langridge, 11 May 2012.
- Official website
- Online comics at WebComicsNation
- Roger Langridge at Act-i-vate
- Modern Tales
- Interview with Futureal Studio
- "Interview with Roger Langridge", The Comics Reporter, 16 October 2005