Roger W. Moss, Jr.
Roger W. Moss, Jr. (born January 31, 1940 in Zanesville, Ohio, USA) is a historian and historic preservationist in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He has been the executive director of the Athenaeum of Philadelphia for 36 years, and recently received the James Biddle lifetime achievement award for his work in historic preservation in Philadelphia.
Moss has been well known in historic preservation in the U.S. for several decades. He has taught at the University of Pennsylvania in the historic preservation program since 1981. His works at the Athenaeum of Philadelphia include restoration of the institution's building, and amassing a significant collection of historic architectural drawings and photographs for its library. He has written numerous books and articles.
One of his most influential contributions to preservationists and architects working in the field may be his landmark books on historic American paints and colors. His investigations led to the creation of the first full line of historic paint colors produced by Sherwin-Williams Paints, the American paint manufacturer.
Moss has had run-ins with church leaders from several denominations over preserving historic buildings; foremost among them is Episcopal Bishop Charles Bennison. His writings favor preservation of notable structures vs. irreversible renovations that permanently remove historic fabric. Moss has opposed renovations of historic churches, over the objections of their congregations, and consequently has drawn much ire from them for his views.
- Moss, Roger W. (1981) Century of Color: Exterior Decoration for American Buildings, 1820-1920, American Life Foundation ISBN 0-89257-051-2
- Tatman, Sandra L., and Roger W. Moss (1985) Biographical Dictionary of Philadelphia Architects, 1700-1930, G.K. Hall & Co. ISBN 0-8161-0437-9
- Moss, Roger W. (1990) The American Country House, Henry Holt & Co. ISBN 0-8050-1248-6
- Moss, Roger W. (Ed.) (1994) Paint in America: The Color of Historic Buildings, National Trust for Historic Preservation ISBN 0-89133-263-4
- Moss, Roger W. (1998) Historic Houses of Philadelphia: A Tour of the Region's Museum Homes University of Pennsylvania Press ISBN 0-8122-3438-3
- Moss, Roger W. (2004) Historic Sacred Places Of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press ISBN 0-8122-3792-7
- Roger Moss official website (Winkler & Moss)
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|