Roger Protz (born 1939) is a British writer, journalist and campaigner. He joined the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) in 1971 and has written several books on beer and pubs. He is the current editor of CAMRA's Good Beer Guide.
Protz joined the Labour Party Young Socialists and became editor of its newspaper, New Advance. While in the Labour Party, he joined the Socialist Labour League. In 1961, he resigned from New Advance to become the editor of the SLL's youth newspaper Keep Left. In 1964, he became the editor of the Militant tendency's Militant newspaper. and in 1968 of Socialist Worker, resigning in 1974.
Protz contributes article to the website beer-pages which he co-edits with Tom Cannavan. He writes a weekly column for the Morning Advertiser, a monthly column for What's Brewing and also contributes to Beers of the World and All About Beer. In 2007, he lectured on the history of beer to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC. In 1988 he founded the British Guild of Beer Writers and was chairman of the Guild 2000-2003. His awards include two golden and five silver tankards from the Guild and he was named Glenfiddich Drink Writer of the Year in 1997 and 2004.
- The Complete Guide to World Beer, 2004. ISBN 1-84442-865-6.
- Classic Stout and Porter, 1997. ISBN 1-85375-220-7.
- The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer, 1995. ISBN 1-86309-142-4.
- "Gerry Healy - Chapter 6". www.whatnextjournal.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "The RSL (Militant) in the 1960s - a study in passivity". archive.workersliberty.org. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/critiques/locust/app04.htm Letter to IS Branches from National Secretary, 10 April 1974 in Jim Higgins, More Years for the Locust.
- "Beer Pages with Roger Protz". www.beer-pages.com. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
|Editor of Socialist Worker