Shimomura in 2009
|Alma mater||University of Washington;
Roger Shimomura (born 1939 in Seattle, Washington) is an American artist and a retired professor at the University of Kansas, having taught there from 1969-2004. His artistic endeavors, showcased across the United States, address Asian American sociopolitical and ethnic issues through the juxtaposition of common everyday images and racially charged imagery.
Life and work
As a child during World War II, Shimomura's family was relocated and interned at the Minidoka Relocation Center in Idaho. He graduated from Syracuse University with a Master of Fine Arts degree, after earning a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Washington.
The content of his earliest memories, this experience informs his art, as does his later experiences with stereotyping and xenophobia.  For example, the series of paintings Return of the Yellow Peril drew inspiration from the fear that the public would return to their fear of the "Yellow Peril". 
His work can be found in the collection of the Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art at Kansas State University, University of Washington and Washburn University. He has also exhibited work at the Missoula Art Museum.
- North 122.
- "National Archives: Roger Shimomura". Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "Roger Shimomura | Computer Science & Engineering". Cs.washington.edu. 2012-03-04. Retrieved 2013-11-29.
- [dead link]
- United States Artists Official Website 
- Hackett, Regina (2004-03-11). "Shimomura explores racism in all its guises – from the racist's POV". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- North, Bill. ...to build up a rich collection...:Selected Works From the Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art. Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art. ISBN 1-890751-11-1.
- Paget, Mindie (2004-05-11). "A Sansei Story". Lawrence Journal-World. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- Susan N. Platt (2004). "Racism is About All of Us". Raven Chronicles.
- Emily Stamey, The Prints of Roger Shimomura A Catalogue Raisonné, 1968–2005, University of Washington Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-295-98672-2
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roger Shimomura.|
- Official site
- Showcase at the Greg Kucera Art Gallery
- Flomen Haft Gallery Bio
- Fall 2009 newsletter of The Wing Luke Asian Museum, includes artist's statement for Shimomura exhibit Yellow Peril and reproduces the titular painting.
- Oral Histories: Roger Shimomura, C-Span, July 9, 2011
- "Roger Shimomura," Nancy Matsumoto, Densho Encyclopedia
|This article about an artist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|