Roger Everett Summons
Roger Everett Summons is Professor of Geobiology in the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a fellow of the Royal Society. Summons is particularly known for the application of organic geochemical techniques to sediments of Precambrian age and modern microbes in order to increase our understanding of the early evolution of life on Earth. Currently he is also engaged as a participating scientist with the search for organics in NASA’s Mars Science Laboratory mission. Outside academia Summons is an avid wine connoisseur and roots for the Boston Red Sox.
Roger Summons was born in Sydney, Australia, and received BSc (1968) and PhD (1972) degrees in Chemistry from the University of Wollongong. Before joining MIT in 2001, he held appointments at Stanford, Australian Iron and Steel, the Australian National University and at Geoscience Australia.
- 1987 - Fellow, Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- 1998 - Fellow, Australian Academy of Science
- 2003 - Alfred E. Treibs Award of the Geochemical Society
- 2005 - Halpern Medal, University of Wollongong
- 2006 - Fellow, American Geophysical Union
- 2008 - Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Research Award
- 2008 - Fellow, Royal Society
- 2012 - Fellow, American Academy of Microbiology
- Love G.D., Grosjean E., Stalvies C., Fike D.A., Bradley A.S., Bhatia M., Meredith W., Snape C.E., Bowring S.A., Condon D.J., Grotzinger J.P. and Summons R.E., 2009. Fossil steroids record the appearance of Demospongiae during the Cryogenian period. Nature 457: 718-722.
- Summons, R.E., Bradley, A.S., Jahnke, L.L. and Waldbauer, J.R., 2006. Steroids, triterpenoids and molecular oxygen. Phil Trans R Soc Lond B 361: 951-968.
- Summons R.E., Jahnke L.L., Logan G.A. and Hope J.M., 1999. 2-Methylhopanoids as biomarkers for cyanobacterial oxygenic photosynthesis. Nature 398: 554-557.
- Brocks J.J., Logan G.A., Buick R. and Summons R.E., 1999. Archean molecular fossils and the early rise of eukyotes. Science 285: 1033-1036.
- Summons R.E. and Powell T.G., 1986. Chlorobiaceae in Palaeozoic seas - Combined evidence from biological markers, isotopes and geology. Nature 319: 763-5.
- MIT-EAPS http://eaps-www.mit.edu/paoc/people/roger-summons Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- List of Royal Society Fellows http://royalsociety.org/about-us/fellowship/fellows/ Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- AAM Fellowship biography http://academy.asm.org/index.php/fellows-info/fellows-elected-in-2012/348-roger-summons Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- "Roger Summons - Alumni @ UOW". University of Wollongong.
- Formerly known as the Wollongong University College of UNSW, then part of the University of New South Wales before the University of Wollongong gained its autonomy in 1975.
- Biographical entry: Encyclopedia of Australian Science http://www.eoas.info/biogs/P003695b.htm Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- List of fellows, Australian Academy of Science http://science.org.au/fellows/fellowship-list.html#S Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- Alfred Treibs award http://www.geochemsoc.org/awards/alfredtreibsaward/ Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- Bert Halpern lecturers http://www.uow.edu.au/content/groups/public/@web/@sci/@chem/documents/doc/uow019346.pdf Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- AGU Fellows http://sites.agu.org/honors/fellows/fellows-alpha-list/ Retrieved: June 5th 2013
- MARUM Press Release http://www.marum.de/en/Humboldt_Awardee_comes_to_Bremen.html Retrieved: June 5th 2013