Roger Vadim in 1971
|Born||Roger Vladimir Plemiannikov
January 26, 1928
|Died||February 11, 2000
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer|
|Spouse(s)||Brigitte Bardot (1952–57)
Annette Stroyberg (1958–60)
Jane Fonda (1965–73)
Catherine Schneider (1975–77)
Marie-Christine Barrault (1990–2000)
|Partner(s)||Catherine Deneuve (1961–63)
Ann Biderman (1980–86)
Roger Vadim (26 January 1928 – 11 February 2000) was a French screenwriter, film director/and producer, as well as an author and occasional actor.
Vadim was born as Roger Vladimir Plemiannikov in Paris. His father, Igor Nikolaevich Plemiannikov (Russian: И́горь Никола́евич Племя́нников), a White Russian military officer and pianist, had emigrated from Ukraine and became a naturalized French citizen, and was a vice consul of France to Egypt, stationed in Alexandria. His mother, Marie-Antoinette (née Ardilouze), was a French actress. Although Vadim lived in luxury in his early youth, the death of his father, when Vadim was nine years old, caused the family to return to France, where his mother found work running a hostel in the French Alps, which was functioning as a way-station for Jews and other fugitives fleeing Nazism.
Vadim studied journalism and writing at the University of Paris, without graduating. At age 19, he became assistant to film director Marc Allégret, whom he met while working at the Theatre Sarah Bernhardt, and for whom he worked on several screenplays.
In addition to Vadim's theatre and film work, he also wrote several books, including an autobiography, D'une étoile à l'autre (From One Star to the Next).
Vadim was married five times:
- Brigitte Bardot (20 December 1952 – 6 December 1957) (divorced)
- Annette Stroyberg (17 June 1958 – 1960) (divorced); 1 daughter (Nathalie)
- Jane Fonda (14 August 1965 – 16 January 1973) (divorced); 1 daughter (Vanessa)
- Catherine Schneider (13 December 1975 – 1977) (divorced); 1 son (Vania)
- Marie-Christine Barrault (21 December 1990 – 11 February 2000) (his death)
Outside his marriages, Vadim also had romances with actress Catherine Deneuve (by whom he had a son, Christian), screenwriter Ann Biderman, who was his fiancée for several years, and actress Cindy Pickett.
Vadim died of cancer at age 72 on 11 February 2000. He was survived by his widow, Marie-Christine Barrault, and his four children (Nathalie, Vanessa, Christian and Vania). Ex-wives Bardot, Fonda, Schneider and Stroyberg were all in attendance at his funeral. He is interred at St. Tropez Cemetery.
- The Naked Heart (1950)
- Blackmailed (1951)
- En Effeuillant la Marguerite/Mademoiselle Striptease (1956)
- And God Created Woman (1956)
- Sait-on jamais? (1957)
- Sois belle et tais-toi/Be Beautiful but Shut up (1957)
- Les Bijoutiers du Clair de Lune/The Night Heaven Fell (1958)
- Les liaisons dangereuses/Dangerous Liaisons (1959)
- Blood and Roses (1960)
- La Bride sur le cou/Please Not Now! (1961)
- Les Sept péchés capitaux/Seven Capital Sins (1962)
- Les Parisiennes/Beds and Broads (1962)
- Le repos du guerrier/Love on a Pillow (1962)
- Un château en Suède/Castle in Sweden (1963)
- Le vice et la vertu/Vice and Virtue (1963)
- La Ronde/Circle of Love (1964)
- La Curée / The Game is Over (1966)
- Spirits of the Dead (1968)
- Barbarella, Queen of the Galaxy (1968)
- Pretty Maids All in a Row (1971)
- Hellé (1972)
- Don Juan ou Si Don Juan était une femme (1973)
- La jeune fille Assassinée/The Murdered Young Girl (1974)
- Une femme fidèle/Game of Seduction (1976)
- Bonheur, impair et passe (1977)
- Jeux de Nuit/Night Games (1980)
- Hot Touch (1981)
- Surprise Party (1983)
- Faerie Tale Theatre (1984 TV, segment "Beauty and the Beast")
- The Hitchhiker (1986 TV, segment "Dead Man's Curve")
- And God Created Woman (remake) (1988)
- Safari (1991, TV movie)
- Amour fou (1993, TV movie)
- La Nouvelle tribu (1996, TV mini-series)
- Mon père avait raison (1996, TV movie)
- Un coup de baguette magique (1997, TV movie)
- School for Love (1955)
- Sweet and Sour (1963)
- Ciao! Manhattan (1972)
- The Assassinated Young Girl (1974)
- Rich and Famous (1981)
- Into the Night (1985)
- Vadim, Roger. Bardot, Deneuve, Fonda: My Life With The Three Most Beautiful Women In The World (1986), Simon & Schuster (ISBN 0671530070/ISBN 9780671530075)
- Sometimes spelled "Plemianikoff".
- "Roger Vadim profile at Filmreference.com". Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "Biography for Roger Vadim". TCM. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "Jane Fonda Marries Frenchman". The Miami News. 14 August 1965. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "Roger Vadim is no braggart about his love life". Beaver County Times. 11 July 1975. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Grogan, David (2 April 1984). "Now a Novelist and Soon a Groom (Once Again), Roger Vadim Starts His Search for the New Brigitte Bardot". People.com. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- Wilson, Earl (25 March 1981). "Cindy Pickett's over Vadim, but says he's not over Fonda". The Miami News.
- Bosworth, Patricia (2011). Jane Fonda: The Private Life of a Public Woman. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 237. ISBN 0-547-50447-0.
- Fonda, Jane (2005). My Life So Far. Random House. p. 141. ISBN 978-0812975765. "Our arms were linked as we solemnly followed his casket through the narrow, ochre-tinted streets of old Saint Tropez–Brigitte Bardot, Annette Stroyberg, Catherine Schneider, Marie-Christine Barrault, and me. Of all Vadim's wives and companions, only Catherine Deneuve and Ann Biderman were missing."
- "Sait-on jamais... (1957) - Full cast and crew". Internet Movie Database. IMDb.com. Retrieved 15 March 2009.