Roger W. Brockett
|Roger W. Brockett|
October 22, 1938 |
|Alma mater||Case Western Reserve University.|
|Doctoral advisor||Mihajlo D. Mesarovic|
|Notable students||Jan C. Willems|
Roger Ware Brockett (October 22, 1938 Seville, Ohio) is an American control theorist and the An Wang Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at Harvard University, who founded the Harvard Robotics Laboratory in 1983.
After teaching at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology from 1963 to 1969, he joined the faculty at Harvard University where he became the Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Mathematics and in 1989 the An Wang Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering.
Awards and honors
Brockett received several awards and honors, including:
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) since 1974
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1991
- In 1989 the Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award from the American Automatic Control Council
- In 1991 the IEEE Control Systems Science and Engineering Award
- In 1996 the "W.T. and Idalia Reid Prize in Mathematics" from the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- In 2005 the Rufus Oldenburger Medal from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- In 2009 the IEEE Leon K. Kirchmayer Graduate Teaching Award
- In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Roger Brockett has an Erdős number of 3: Paul Erdös - Foong Frances Yao - David P. Dobkin - Roger Ware Brockett.
- Roger Brockett and Donald Knuth were classmates at Case Western
- Baillieul, J. (1999). Mathematical Control Theory. Berlin: Springer. ISBN 0-387-98317-1.
- Roach, John (May 19, 2003). "Robots May Be Built as Companions, Expert Says". National Geographic News.
- "Fellow Class of 1974". IEEE. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- "NAE Members Directory - Dr. Roger W. Brockett". NAE. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- "Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award". American Automatic Control Council. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
- Baillieul, John B.; Willems, Jan C., eds. (1999). Mathematical control theory. Springer-Verlag. p. xix. ISBN 0-387-98317-1. Retrieved March 29, 2011.
- "IEEE Control Systems Award Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- "IEEE Control Systems Award". IEEE Control Systems Society. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- "W.T. and Idalia Reid Prize in Mathematics". Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. Retrieved January 14, 2011.
- "Rufus Oldenburger Medal". American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- "IEEE Leon K. Kirchmayer Graduate Teaching Award Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- "List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society". American Mathematical Society. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- Brockett's web page at Harvard
- Biography at the University of Maryland.
- Roger W. Brockett at the Mathematics Genealogy Project