Roger Williams (British politician)
|Member of Parliament
for Brecon and Radnorshire
7 June 2001
|Preceded by||Richard Livsey|
22 January 1948 |
Crickhowell, Powys, Wales
|Political party||Welsh Liberal Democrats|
|Children||1 son, 1 daughter|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Website||Roger Williams MP|
Roger Hugh Williams, CBE, MP (born 22 January 1948) is a Liberal Democrat politician in the UK. He has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for the constituency of Brecon and Radnorshire since the 2001 general election.
Born in the town of Crickhowell, Roger Williams studied at Christ College, Brecon, and Selwyn College, Cambridge. On graduating in Natural Sciences he returned to Breconshire becoming a livestock farmer on the family farm at Llanfilo. During the mid-1980s he was elected Chairman of the Brecon and Radnorshire branch of the National Farmers Union.
Williams joined the Labour Party in 1969, but left to join the SDP at the formation of the party in 1981 and represented it and subsequently the Liberal Democrats on Powys County Council. In 1990 he was elected Chairman of Brecon Beacons National Park.
In 2001 he was elected to represent the constituency of Brecon & Radnorshire holding the seat with a majority of 751 following the retirement of fellow Liberal Democrat Richard Livsey. In the 2005 election he was returned with an improved majority of 3,905. He served as Shadow Welsh Secretary in the Liberal Democrat Frontbench Team in the 2005-10 Parliament and was re-elected in the 2010 election with a majority of 3,747.
He married Penelope James in 1973 in Devon. They have a son (born 1975) and daughter (born 1976).
- The London Gazette: . 29 December 2012.
- Roger Williams MP official constituency website
- Profile at the Liberal Democrats
- Profile at the Welsh Liberal Democrats
- Brecon and Radnorshire Liberal Democrats
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Brecon and Radnorshire