|Date of birth:||March 25, 1931|
|Place of birth:||Hamtramck, Michigan|
|NFL Draft:||1953 / Round: 5 / Pick 55|
|Green Bay Packers
Career highlights and awards
|Playing stats at|
Roger Zatkoff (born March 25, 1931) is a former American football player. He played college football for the University of Michigan from 1950 to 1952. He later played professional football for the Green Bay Packers (1953–1956) and Detroit Lions (1957–1958).
Zatkoff was born in Hamtramck, Michigan. He enrolled at the University of Michigan in 1949 and played football for Bennie Oosterbaan's teams of the early 1950s. As a freshman, he was awarded the Meyer Morton Award as the freshman player showing the most promise. He started nine games at linebacker for the 1950 Michigan Wolverines football team that defeated Ohio State in the famous Snow Bowl game, won the Big ten championship, and defeated the University of California in the 1951 Rose Bowl. He started all nine games at linebacker for the 1951 Wolverines. As a senior in 1952, he started all nine games for Michigan at the linebacker position and was selected as an All-Big Ten player. Zatkoff was inducted into the University of Michigan Athletic Hall of Honor in 1985.
After graduating from Michigan, Zatkoff played linebacker for the Green Bay Packers from 1953 to 1956. He then went on to play for the Detroit Lions in the 1957 and 1958 seasons. He was a starting player on the 1957 Detroit Lions NFL Championship team. He was a three-time Pro Bowler, including a first-team Pro Bowl selection in 1955. He was also selected as a first-team All-NFL player by the United Press International in 1954 and by the Associated Press in 1955. He had four interceptions and four fumble recoveries for the Packers in the 1954 and 1955 seasons.
Roger Zatkoff Award
The University of Michigan's Roger Zatkoff Award is given to the football team's best linebacker at the end of each season.
- "1950 Football Team". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library.
- "1951 Football Team". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library.
- "1952 Football Team". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library.
- "Michigan Athletic Hall of Honor". University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library.
- "Roger Zatkoff profile". pro-football-reference.com.
- "1957 Detroit Lions". pro-football-reference.com.
- "1954 Green Bay Packers". pro-football-reference.com.
- "1955 Green Bay Packers". pro-football-reference.com.
- Michigan FB Roger Zatkoff Award (through 2007), MGoBlue.com, June 23, 2008 (accessed online 2009-02-12)
- Graham Named Bo Schembechler MVP of 2008 Team, MGoBlue.com, December 4, 2008 (accessed online 2009-02-12)