Roger of Salisbury (bishop of Bath and Wells)
|Roger of Salisbury|
|Bishop of Bath and Wells (previously Bath)|
|See||Diocese of Bath and Wells (previously Bath)|
|Elected||circa 3 February 1244|
|Reign ended||21 December 1247|
|Predecessor||Jocelin of Wells|
|Successor||William of Bitton I|
|Other posts||precentor of Salisbury|
|Consecration||11 September 1244|
|Died||21 December 1247|
Roger of Salisbury (died 1247) was a Bishop of Bath and Wells (previously Bath).
Roger was a canon of Salisbury by 3 July 1223 and was a theology lecturer at Salisbury by 30 September 1225. In late 1226 or early 1227 he acquired the prebend of Netheravon in the diocese of Salisbury. In 1223 he had the prebend of Teinton Regis in the diocese of Salisbury, and held that prebend until he became bishop. He was named to the office of precentor of Salisbury in early 1227.
Roger was elected about 3 February 1244 and consecrated 11 September 1244. His election was contentious because the canons of Wells, who had been promised the ability to participate in the election of the new bishop, were instead excluded. Eventually, William of Bitton I, who eventually succeeded Roger as bishop, managed to arrange a compromise. Roger died on 21 December 1247 and was buried at Bath. He should not be confused with Roger of Salisbury, Bishop of Salisbury, who died in 1139.
- British History Online Prebends of Netheravon
- British History Online Prebend of Teinton Regis
- British History Online Precentors of Salisbury
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 228
- Shaw "Button , William (d. 1264)" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- British History Online Bishops of Bath
- British History Online Bishops of Bath accessed on 23 September 2007
- British History Online Prebends of Netheravon accessed on 23 September 2007
- British History Online Prebend of Teinton Regis accessed on 23 September 2007
- British History Online Precentors of Salisbury accessed on 23 September 2007
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third Edition, revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Shaw, David Gary (2004). "Button, William (d. 1264)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/4236. Retrieved 15 November 2007.
Further reading 
|Catholic Church titles|
Jocelin of Wells
|Bishop of Bath
as Bishop of Bath and Wells
as Bishop of Bath
|Bishop of Bath and Wells
William of Bitton I
|This article about a British Catholic bishop or archbishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|