Rohini, West Bengal
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2009)|
Rohini is a village located in the Sankrail block of Paschim Medinipur district, West Bengal, India. It is a developing gram panchayat and the headquarters of Sankrail block under the Jhargram sub-division. It has been awarded the Rashtrapati Purashkar (presidential award) for developing a rural drainage system. Rohini is also the birthplace of Rasikananda Mahaprabhu of Baishnab religion.Rohini is known for its cultural heritage and became a center of education after independence.The librery,Ramnarayan Pathagar has helped many researchers with its rich collection of rare books.Despite of its importance,roads connecting Rohini with all important places are in very bad shape.
Rohini is situated on the banks of the Dulung River which is connected to the Subarnarekha River. The village is connected to major towns and cities in West Bengal, including Kharagpur, Medinipur, Jhargram, Gopiballavpur, Belda, Digha, Howrah and many more places. Shortage in the number of Buses creates problem to the travelers. State Transport Department can employ more Buses between Rohini and Howrah/ Kolkata.
The Rohini gram panchayat contains the following villages:
Rohini has the following Educational Institutions and alike :
- Rohini Junior Basic School
- Rohini C.R.D. High School(HS)
- Rohini Valika Vidyalaya(HS)
- Rohini Morning Star School
- Barnali Sarangi Foundation
The following are places of interest in Rohini:
- Rameshwar Temple on the bank of Subarnarekha River
- Rasikananda Mahaprabhu's birthplace & Temple
- Raj Bari (also called GARH)
- Ramnarayan Pathagar(Ranjitpur)
- Picnic Spot on the Subarnarekha river bed
- Bhramargarh - connected to an ancient love story
- Neel Kuthi- although in ruins
- Island between two river Subarnarekha and Dolung.
(An ideal Picnic spot)