The word "rohit" at its root signifies the color red. The color red is implicit. It is derived from Sanskrit, meaning "the first rays of the sun". The early morning sunlight usually has a lot of reddish tint. It is also said to be derived from the Sanskrit word Rohitah (रोहित:) which signifies a red coloured deer – a form which Brahma once took. Sanskrit pronunciation: [ˈroːhɪt̪a].
Rohit is also one of the names of the Hindu God Vishnu, when he is said to have first arrived on earth as a beautiful red fish. It appears in the Vishnu Sahasranam (विष्णु सहस्रणाम, "1000 names of Vishnu"). Rohit also means a person, who leads to growth and development of his family (a commonly held belief in Hindu families). Rohit was also the name of one of Krishna's sons.
- Rohit Bal – an Indian fashion designer
- Rohit Chand – Nepali football player
- Rohit Gupta – Indian film director, producer, editor
- Rohit Jivanlal Parikh – a mathematician, logician, and philosopher of Indian origin
- Rohit Pande – an Indian entrepreneur & co-founder/CEO of Classteacher Learning Systems.
- Rohit Roy – Indian television star
- Rohit Sharma – Indian cricketer
- Rohit Shetty – Indian film director, presenter and cinematographer