|Born||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Occupation||Film director, cinematographer|
|Parents||M. B. Shetty
Rohit Shetty is an Indian film director and cinematographer. His work as a filmmaker include the films Golmaal, Golmaal Returns, Golmaal 3, Singham, Bol Bachchan, Singham Returns and Chennai Express (2013) which is currently the fourth highest grossing Bollywood film worldwide, for which he was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Director,
He started his career at the age of 17 as an assistant director with Kuku Kohli during Phool Aur Kaante (Ajay Devgan's debut film that costarred Madhoo). Then he assisted him in Ek Aur Kohinoor, which was never released. He also worked with him on Suhaag (Ajay, Akshay Kumar, Karisma Kapoor), Haqeeqat (1995) (Ajay, Tabu) and Zulmi (Akshay, Twinkle Khanna).
Shetty directed his debut feature film, Zameen, as an independent director with Devgan in 2003 at the age of 30. Zameen was a flop at boxoffice. He rose to fame after he directed the 2006 comedy film, Golmaal: Fun Unlimited starring Devgn, Arshad Warsi, Tusshar Kapoor and Sharman Joshi.
In 2008, he directed his third film, Sunday, starring Devgn, Warsi and Ayesha Takia. Sunday was a comic-thriller. Shetty's second 2008 project, was the sequel to Golmaal, titled Golmaal Returns. The sequel featured most of the original cast, except Sharman Joshi, who was replaced by Shreyas Talpade, and starred Kareena Kapoor. Golmaal Returns. In 2009, he released All the Best: Fun Begins. In 2010, Shetty directed Golmaal 3. Shetty's 2011 Singham also featured Devgn in the title role, as a Police Inspector fighting against corruption. Singham was praised for the action sequences and direction, and Devgn's performance. His next release, Bol Bachchan, is a comedy-drama starring Devgn and Abhishek Bachchan. Bol Bachchan was a commercial success in India.
Shetty's Chennai Express, starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone, was released on 9 August 2013. Chennai Express became the highest-grossing Bollywood film in the domestic market. The film earned over US$17.4 million to become the third-highest grossing Bollywood film overseas. The film also set a number of box office records, for the highest opening-day gross, highest paid preview, highest single-day gross, biggest opening weekend, highest opening week and the fastest film to reach 100 crore and 2 billion in domestic market.
He latest release is Singham Returns with Ajay Devgan, a sequel to his 2011 film Singham. He was also a part of the 5th season of television stunt game show Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi in 2014 as the host taking over from the previous host Akshay Kumar. In 2014 he turned into a producer with Singham Returns, co-producing the film under his banner Rohit Shetty Productions.
- Film director
- 2003 Zameen
- 2006 Golmaal
- 2008 Sunday
- 2008 Golmaal Returns
- 2009 All The Best: Fun Begins
- 2010 Golmaal 3
- 2011 Singham
- 2012 Bol Bachchan
- 2013 Chennai Express
- 2014 Singham Returns
- 2011–2013 Comedy Circus as a judge
- 2012 Big Switch – Season 3 as Godfather
- 2014 Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi (season 5) as the host
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (August 2014)|
- "Chennai Express collections: Blockbuster man Rohit Shetty". The Indian Express.
- "18th from the left in the seventh row". http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- IANS (13 November 2009). "I can't act: Rohit Shetty". Mid-Day. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "In my family, we are all ready to uproot handpumps: Rohit Shetty". http://www.hindustantimes.com. HT Media Limited. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Pereira, Priyanka (22 June 2011). "Action Reloaded". The Indian Express. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- adarsh, taran. "singham". bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- TNN. "Bol Bachchan makes big noise at box-office". timesofindia. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- SRK-Rohit film sold for 105 crore
- "Rohit Shetty open to Bol Bachchan sequel". 10 July 2012.
- kotwani, hiren. "'I slash points for double meaning statements'". hindustantimes. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- IANS. "'Khatron Ke Khiladi 5' is mix of stunts and entertainment: Rohit Shetty". DNA. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rohit Shetty.|