Company logo used since 2009
|Traded as||TYO: 6963
|Founded||Kyoto, Japan (September 17, 1958 )|
|Headquarters||21 Saiin Mizosaki-cho, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto 615-8585 Japan|
|Key people||Satoshi Sawamura, (CEO and President)|
|Revenue||¥ 292,411 million) (FY 2012)|
$ -9.798 million (FY 2012)(¥ -921 million) (FY 2012)
$ -558.128 million (FY 2012)(¥ -52,464 million) (FY 2012)
$ 7,436 million (FY 2012)(¥ 699,014 million) (FY 2012)
$ 6,528 million (FY 2012)(¥ 613,647 million) (FY 2012)
|Employees||20,203 (as of March 31, 2013)|
ROHM Semiconductor (ローム株式会社 Rōmu Kabushiki-gaisha?) is a Japanese electronic parts manufacturer based in Kyoto, Japan. ROHM was incorporated as Toyo Electronics Industry Corporation by Kenichiro Sato (佐藤 研一郎) on September 17, 1958.
The name was officially changed to Rohm in 1981 and then changed again to "ROHM Semiconductor" in January 2009.
As of 2011, ROHM is among the Worldwide Top 20 Semiconductor Sales Leaders.
- 1954 - Toyo Electronics Industry established.
- Carbon film resistors developed and marketed.
- 1966 - ROHM Wako Co., Ltd. established.
- 1969 - Began development of ICs.
- ROHM Apollo Co., Ltd. established.
- 1970 - Established U.S. subsidiary company in California.
- 1971 - Started research and development of integrated circuits (ICs) in Silicon Valley.
- ROHM Electronics GmbH established.
- Transistor developed and marketed.
- 1979 - Corporate name is changed from R.ohm to ROHM.
- 1984 - First in the world to succeed in the practical industrial use of laser diodes with MBE methodology.
- 1986 - Listed on the First Section of the Osaka Stock Exchange.
- Memory ICs developed and marketed.
- 1988 - Obtained basic patent of flash memory in the USA.
- 1990 - Began sales of LED message boards.
- 1991 - Established ROHM Music Foundation.
- 1996 - ROHM Wako Device Co., Ltd. established
- ROHM Electronics Korea Corporation established.
- ROHM Electronics (Philippines) Sales Corporation established.
- 1997 - Started mass production of red laser diodes for DVDs.
- 2002 - Optical Device Research Center opened.
- 2008 - Acquired Oki Electric Industry's semiconductor business.
- 2009 - Market leader Kionix, an MEMS supplier, becomes a subsidiary of ROHM.
- 2010 - Acquired MARUZEN ELECTRIC
- 2011 - Made a 50-year contract with Kyoto City Government for the naming rights of Kyoto Kaikan, naming "Rohm Theatre Kyoto" in July 2013.
- "Corporate Data". Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Annual Report 2013". Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Rohm to buy Oki Electric's chip business". Reuters. May 28, 2008. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Rohm Co., Ltd. Acquisition of Kionix, Inc.". I-Micronews. October 13, 2009. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Company History". Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Official website (English)
- Welcome to ROHM Semiconductor GmbH (Europe)
- Welcome to ROHM Semiconductor USA, LLC
|This article about a Japanese corporation– or company–related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This technology article about a corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|