Rolesville, North Carolina
|Rolesville, North Carolina|
Main Street Park
Location in Wake County and the state of North Carolina.
|• Total||3.9 sq mi (10.2 km2)|
|• Land||3.9 sq mi (10.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||443 ft (135 m)|
|• Density||960/sq mi (370/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0993655|
Rolesville is a small town nestled in northeastern Wake County, North Carolina, United States, just outside the capital city of Raleigh. It is the second oldest town in Wake County and has been one of the fastest growing towns in the state of North Carolina for the past several years. The population was 3,786 at the 2010 census.
Rolesville began as a humble farming community, of which many large family tracts are still cultivated today. Most of the large family farms in the heart of Rolesville, however, have been developed into residential or commercial subdivisions, allowing Rolesville to become one of the top three fastest growing communities in North Carolina every year since 2005. Rolesville was named after William H. Roles, who was a local land owner, merchant, cotton broker, cotton gin owner, and postmaster.
Rolesville is located at .
|This article is outdated. (March 2011)|
As of the census of 2000, there were 907 people, 353 households, and 265 families in the town. The population density was 557.4 people per square mile (214.8/km2). There were 384 housing units at an average density of 236.0 per square mile (91.0/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 84.01% White, 8.49% African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 5.73% from other races, and 1.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.95% of the population.
Of the 353 households 35.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.3% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.9% were non-families. 20.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 22.9% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 105.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $46,838, and the median income for a family was $57,813. Males had a median income of $41,932 versus $24,018 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,092. About 10.9% of families and 12.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.8% of those under age 18 and 3.4% of those age 65 or over.
Rolesville is the namesake of the Rolesville diorite Batholith, also known as the Rolesville Pluton. While the batholith extends into regions north and south of Wake County, the bedrock formation is particularly visible in the form of rocky outcrops within the town limits and the immediate vicinity.
- Rolesville Elementary School
- Sanford Creek Elementary School
- Rolesville Middle School
- Rolesville High School
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Rolesville, North Carolina; Town of Rolesville official website. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Rolesville town, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Rolesville town, North Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- Town of Rolesville official website
- Rolesville Parks and Recreation Advisory Board
- Rolesville Chamber of Commerce