Director General of CERN, Rolf-Dieter Heuer, during an interview at Fermilab
May 24, 1948 [|
University of Stuttgart
University of Heidelberg
|Doctoral advisor||Joachim Heintze|
His post-doc studies include the JADE experiment at the electron-positron storage ring PETRA at DESY, and from 1984, at the OPAL experiment at CERN, where he also became spokesperson of the OPAL collaboration for many years.
Having been offered a full professorship for experimental physics at the University of Hamburg, Heuer returned to DESY in 1998. In 2004, he was appointed DESY's Research Director.
- On 15 June 2011, Heuer was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Victoria.
- On 19 July 2011, Heuer was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Liverpool. In his speech to the graduands he spoke of the need to bring science into mainstream culture.
- On 16 December 2011, Heuer was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Birmingham.
- On 13 June 2012, Heuer was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Glasgow.
- On 12 November 2012, he was awarded an Edison Volta Prize.
- Geoff Brumfiel, Jeff Tollefson, Eric Hand, Monya Baker, David Cyranoski, Helen Shen, Richard Van Noorden, Nicola Nosengo & Declan Butler (2012). "Ten people who mattered in 2012: Rolf-Dieter Heuer, Cynthia E. Rosenzweig, Adam Steltzner, Cedric Blanpain, Elizabeth Iorns, Jun Wang, Jo Handelsman, Timothy Gowers, Bernardo De Bernardinis, Ron Fouchier". Nature 492 (7429): 335–343. doi:10.1038/492335a.
- Heuer, R. -D. (2012). "The future of the Large Hadron Collider and CERN". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 370 (1961): 986–994. doi:10.1098/rsta.2011.0467. PMID 22253249.
Further reading 
- "Professor Dr. Rolf-Dieter Heuer Appointed as New Research Director", DESY Press Release, Hamburg, 4 October 2004
- "Rolf-Dieter Heuer to be New CERN Director General", DESY Press Releases, Hamburg, 14 December 2007
- "UNESCO and CERN: like hooked atoms; Jasmina Sopova meets Rolf-Dieter Heuer", in "Chemistry and life", The UNESCO Courier, January-March, 2011, pp. 48-50.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Rolf-Dieter Heuer|
|Director General of CERN
1 January 2009 – present
|This article about a German physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|