Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Owerri
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Italian Wikipedia. (February 2011)|
|Archdiocese of Owerri
|Cathedral||Assumpta Cathedral, Owerri|
|Archbishop||Most Rev. Anthony J. V. Obinna|
|Suffragans||Aba, Ahiara, Okigwe, Orlu, Umuahia|
Imo State shown in red
The Seat of Wisdom Seminary is in Owerri.
The archdiocese covers an area of 2,996 km². 670,986 of the 1.7 million people in the area are member of the Catholic Church.
The diocese dates back to the Vicariate Apostolic of Owerri, which was created on February 12, 1948 when the Vicariate Apostolic of Onitsha-Owerri was split. On April 18, 1950 it was elevated to a diocese. On March 26, 1994 it became an archdiocese.
The seat of the archbishop is Assumpta Cathedral in Owerri.
- Metropolitan Archbishops of Owerri (Roman rite)
- Archbishop Anthony J. V. Obinna since 1994.03.26
- Bishops of Owerri (Roman rite)
- Vicars Apostolic of Owerri (Roman rite)
- Bishop Joseph Brendan Whelan, C.S.Sp. 1948.02.12 – 1950.04.18