Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince
|Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince
Archidioecesis Portus Principis
The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption in Port-au-Prince, which was dedicated on 13 December 1928, was destroyed during the 12 January 2010 earthquake
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Port-au-Prince|
|Metropolitan||Port-au-Prince, Port-au-Prince Arrondissement, Ouest Department|
|Area||5,500 km2 (2,100 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)
|Established||October 3, 1861|
|Cathedral||The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Quesnel Alphonse, S.M.M., Glandas Marie Erick Toussaint|
|Emeritus Bishops||Joseph Lafontant|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince (erected 3 October 1861) is a metropolitan diocese, responsible for the suffragan Dioceses of Jacmel, Jérémie, Anse-à-Veau and Miragoâne and Les Cayes.
The archdiocese was a vacant see following the death of Archbishop Joseph Serge Miot, who was one of the many casualties of the 12 January 2010 earthquake when the Archdiocesan Chancery building collapsed. The archdiocese's chancellor was also reportedly killed.
On the one-year anniversary of the disaster, Pope Benedict XVI named Guire Poulard - who had been the Bishop of Les Cayes - as the new Archbishop of Port-au-Prince. At the same time he named Glandas Marie Erick Toussaint as the auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese.
- Archbishop Martial-Guillaume-Marie Testard du Cosquer (7 September 1863 Appointed – 27 July 1869 Died)
- Archbishop Alexis-Jean-Marie Guilloux (27 June 1870 Appointed – 24 October 1885 Died)
- Archbishop Constant-Mathurin Hillion (10 June 1886 Appointed – 21 February 1890 Died)
- Cardinal Giulio Tonti (1 October 1894 Appointed – 23 August 1902 Appointed, Titular Archbishop of Ancyra)
- Archbishop Julien-Jean-Guillaume Conan (16 September 1903 Appointed – 5 December 1930 Resigned)
- Archbishop Joseph-Marie Le Gouaze (5 December 1930 Succeeded – 24 June 1955 Retired)
- Archbishop François-Marie-Joseph Poirier (3 July 1955 Appointed – 18 August 1966 Resigned)
- Archbishop François-Wolff Ligondé (20 August 1966 Appointed – 1 March 2008 Retired)
- Archbishop Joseph Serge Miot (1 March 2008 Succeeded – 12 January 2010 Died)
- Archbishop Guire Poulard (12 January 2011 Appointed)
- Auxiliary Bishop: Quesnel Alphonse, S.M.M.
- Auxiliary Bishop: Glandas Marie Erick Toussaint
- Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus: Joseph Lafontant
|Year||Along with||To form|
|1988||Diocese of Jacmel|
- Deacon Keith Fournier (13 January 2010). "Breaking News: Devastating 7.0 Earthquake Hammers Beleagured [sic] Island Nation of Haiti". Catholic Online. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "Haiti Archbishop Killed in Quake as Churches, Cathedral Reduced to Rubble". Fox News. 13 January 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- Holdren, Alan. "On earthquake anniversary, Pope appoints archbishop, sends $1.2 million to Haiti". Catholic News Agency. Retrieved 2011-01-17.
- "Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- "Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- GCatholic.org page for the Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince
- Official website for the Archdiocese of Port-au-Prince
- RadioSoleil.org in Port-au-Prince