Roman Catholic Diocese of Alexandria in Louisiana
|Diocese of Alexandria in Louisiana
Dioecesis Alexandrina in Louisiana
|Territory||Parishes of Avoyelles, Rapides, Vernon, Natchitoches, Winn, Caldwell, Madison, Franklin, Tensas, Concordia, Catahoula Parish, Lasalle, Grant|
|Ecclesiastical province||Archdiocese of New Orleans|
|Cathedral||St. Francis Xavier Cathedral|
|Patron saint||St. Francis Xavier|
|Bishop||Ronald Paul Herzog
Bishop of Alexandria in Louisiana
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Gregory Michael Aymond
Archbishop of New Orleans
The Diocese of Alexandria is the Roman Catholic diocese for central Louisiana, based in Alexandria, with its see at St. Francis Xavier Cathedral. It encompasses the parishes, or counties, of Avoyelles, Rapides, Vernon, Natchitoches, Winn, Caldwell, Madison, Franklin, Tensas, Concordia, Cathoula, Lasalle, and Grant.
The current Bishop of the Diocese is Ronald Paul Herzog, who was appointed to office on November 4, 2004 and formally installed on January 5, 2005. Prior to becoming Bishop, he had been a priest of the Biloxi, Mississippi diocese since 1977.
Sam Jacobs was Bishop from July 1, 1989 to August 1, 2003. In August 2003, he became the Bishop of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux, Louisiana and from that date until November 2004, the diocese did not have a resident Bishop but was led by Bishop William Benedict Friend of the Diocese of Shreveport, who served as the Apostolic Administrator for the diocese.
The corporate title of the diocese is The Diocese of Alexandria. The Latin title of the diocese is Dioecesis Alexandrina in Louisiana.
In 1910, the name of the Diocese changed to the Diocese of Alexandria (Alexandrinus).
In 1976, the name of the Diocese changed again to the Diocese of Alexandria-Shreveport (Alexandrinus-Shreveportuensis). It was known by this name until the summer of 1986, when the northern Louisiana portion of the territory was separated to form the new Diocese of Shreveport. Once again, the diocese was known as the Diocese of Alexandria.
Ordinaries of the Diocese
- Augustus Marie Martin - July 29, 1853 - September 29, 1875 (His death)
- Francis Xavier Leray - December 19, 1876 - September 23, 1879 (Reassigned as Coadjutor Archbishop of New Orleans)
- Anthony Durier - December 19, 1884 - February 28, 1904 (His death)
- Cornelius Van de Ven - October 24, 1904 - May 8, 1932 (His death)
- Daniel Francis Desmond - December 16, 1932 - September 11, 1945 (His Death)
- Charles Pasquale Greco - January 15, 1946 - May 10, 1973 (Retired)
- Lawrence Preston Joseph Graves May 10, 1973 - July 20, 1982 (Resigned)
- William Benedict Friend - November 17, 1982 - June 16, 1986 (Reassigned as Bishop of Shreveport, Louisiana)
- John Clement Favalora - June 16, 1986 - March 14, 1989 (Reassigned as Bishop of Saint Petersburg)
- Sam Gallip Jacobs - July 1, 1989 - August 1, 2003 (Reassigned as Bishop of Houma-Thibodaux, Louisiana)
- Ronald Paul Herzog - November 4, 2004 - (Current Bishop)
- Holy Savior Menard Central High School, Alexandria
- St. Joseph High School, Plaucheville
- St. Mary's High School, Natchitoches