Roman Catholic Diocese of Fargo
|Diocese of Fargo
|Territory||30 counties in eastern North Dakota|
|Ecclesiastical province||Saint Paul and Minneapolis|
|Area||35,786 sq mi (92,690 km2)|
|(as of 2006)
|Established||November 10, 1889 (124 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. Mary|
|Patron saint||Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary|
|Bishop||John Thomas Folda|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||John Clayton Nienstedt
Archbishop of Saint Paul and Minneapolis
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Fargo (Latin: Dioecesis Fargensis) is a Roman Catholic diocese in the American state of North Dakota. Fargo is the episcopal see of the diocese. It is a suffragan see of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. The Cathedral parish of the diocese is the Cathedral of St. Mary.
The diocese was founded on November 10, 1889 by Pope Leo XIII as the Diocese of Jamestown. The name of the diocese was changed to the Diocese of Fargo on April 6, 1897. It lost territory when the Diocese of Bismarck was established by Pope Pius X in 1909.
Bishops of the diocese of Fargo
The bishops who have served the diocese of Fargo are:
- John Shanley (1889–1909)
- James O'Reilly (1909–1934)
- Aloisius Joseph Muench (1935–1959)
- Leo Ferdinand Dworschak (1960–1970)
- Justin Albert Driscoll (1970–1984)
- James Stephen Sullivan (1985–2002)
- Samuel Joseph Aquila (2002–2012)
- John Thomas Folda (2013–present)
The Diocese of Fargo operates a number of departments serving the various needs of the bishop and parishes. The departments include:
- Catholic Education and Formation Office (CEF)
- Catholic Schools
- Education for Parish Service (EPS)
- Evangelization and Catechesis
- Human Resources
- Marriage & Family Life
- Marriage Tribunal
- Properties Management
- Respect Life
- Stewardship & Development
- Youth & Young Adult
- Cardinal Muench Seminary
- Cathedral of St. Mary
- Holy Spirit Catholic Church
- Nativity Catholic Church
- St. Anthony of Padua's Catholic Church
- Sts. Anne & Joachim's Catholic Church
- St. Paul's Catholic Newman Center
Grand Forks parishes
- Holy Family Catholic Church
- St. Mary's Catholic Church
- St. Michael's Catholic Church
- St. Thomas Aquinas' Newman Center
West Fargo parishes
- Holy Spirit, Fargo
- Nativity, Fargo
- St. Ann Elementary, Belcourt
- St. Joseph Elementary, Devil's Lake
- St. Michael Elementary, Grand Forks
- Holy Family Elementary, Grand Forks
- St. Alphonsus Elementary, Langdon
- St. John Academy, Jamestown
- Little Flower Elementary, Rugby
- St. Catherine Elementary, Valley City
- St. John Elementary, Wahpeton[disambiguation needed]
- Sullivan Middle School, Fargo
The Diocese of Fargo also operated Cardinal Meunch Seminary, established in 1962, for the formation of men to the priesthood. The seminary was closed in May 2011 due to increased cost of operation and lack of funding.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Diocese of Fargo.|
- David M. Cheney. "Fargo (Diocese)". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Diocese of Fargo". GCatholic. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Cardinal Aloisius Muench, Bishop of Fargo, North Dakota". Cardinalmuench.org. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- 1&1 WebsiteBuilder (2012-01-12). "Home". Cathedral of St. Mary. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Home". Holy Spirit Church. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Find us on Facebook. "Nativity Church of Fargo Homepage". Nativitycatholicchurch.net. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "St Anthony of Padua Parish Fargo, ND 58103". Stanthonyfargo.org. 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- [dead link]
- "Holy Family Parish Grand Forks, ND 58201". Holyfamilygrandforks.parishesonline.com. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "St Mary Parish Grand Forks, ND 58201". Stmarysgfnd.parishesonline.com. 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "St. Michael's". Stmichaelsgf.com. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "UND Catholic". Und.nodak.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Blessed Sacrament at 210 5th Ave West, West Fargo, ND 58078-1799 US - Home". Blessedsacramentwestfargo.org. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- "Holy Cross Catholic Church". Holy Cross Catholic Church. Retrieved 2012-10-09.
- Cardinal Muench Seminary Closed, cardinalmuench.org