Roman Catholic Diocese of Ferns
|Diocese of Ferns
|Country||Republic of Ireland|
|Territory||Most of County Wexford and parts of County Wicklow|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Dublin|
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Dublin|
|Area||1,158 sq mi (3,000 km2)|
|Cathedral||St Aidan's Cathedral, Enniscorthy|
|Patron saint||St Aidan|
Bishop of Ferns
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Diarmuid Martin,
Archbishop of Dublin
|Emeritus Bishops||Brendan Oliver Comiskey,
Bishop Emeritus of Ferns
The Diocese of Ferns within the Province of Dublin
The Diocese of Ferns (Irish: Deoise Fhearna) is a Roman Catholic diocese in south-eastern Ireland. It is one of six suffragan dioceses in the ecclesiastical province of Dublin and is subject to the Archdiocese of Dublin. The incumbent Ordinary is Denis Brennan.
|“||It is a far cry back to the year 598, when the See of Ferns was established, with St. Aedan (Mo-Aedh-og or Mogue) as first Bishop. During his episcopate thirty churches and numerous monasteries were founded. St. Ibar, St. Abban, St. Brendan, and St. Senan were also early labourers in the diocese. St. Aedan died on January 31st, 630, leaving a fragrant memory behind him, and his episcopal See was known as Fearna-mor-Moedhoc."||”|
- Thomas Furlong (1857–1875)
- Michael Warren (1876–1884)
- James Browne (1884–1917)
- William Codd (1917–1938)
- James Staunton (1938–1963)
- Donald J. Herlihy (1964–1983)
- Brendan Oliver Comiskey, SS.CC. (1984–2002)
- Denis Brennan (2006–present)
Sex abuse controversy
The October 2005 Report of the Ferns Inquiry has outlined the serious levels of clerical sex abuse in the diocese since the 1960s. It strongly criticised the former bishops of Ferns, Donal Herlihy and Brendan Comiskey for their inability to deal with the allegations of sexual abuse made against a number of priests. Brendan Comiskey resigned as Bishop on 1 April 2002.
- Diocese of Ferns. Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- Archdiocese of Dublin. Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- Diocese of Ferns – Catholic Encyclopedia article. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- Grattan Flood, History, title page.
- Grattan Flood, History, p. ix.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 428–429. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Diocese of Ferns. Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved on 7 September 2009.
- Grattan Flood, W.H. History of the Diocese of Ferns. Waterford: Downey & Co., 1916.
- Ferns.ie – Official site
- Diocese of Ferns (GCatholic.org)
- Catholic-Hierarchy.org – Diocese Profile
- "Ferns". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.