Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary
|Diocese of Gary
|Territory||The counties of Lake, LaPorte, Porter and Starke in Northwest Indiana|
|Metropolitan||Joseph William Tobin|
|Area||1,807 sq mi (4,680 km2)|
|(as of 2006)
|Established||December 17, 1956 (58 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Holy Angels|
|Patron saint||Guardian Angels
St. Matthias the Apostle
|Bishop||Donald J. Hying|
|Emeritus Bishops||Dale Joseph Melczek|
Territory of the Diocese of Gary
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary (Latin: Dioecesis Gariensis) is a particular church of the Roman Catholic Church in the United States of America. It was founded on December 17, 1956, by Pope Pius XII. It is one of four suffragan dioceses of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. Its ecclesiastic territory includes Lake, Porter, LaPorte, and Starke counties in northwestern Indiana. The mother church of the diocese is the Cathedral of the Holy Angels in Gary, Indiana.
During the first half of the 20th century, many Catholic immigrants came from Eastern Europe and Mexico to work in the region’s growing steel industry. A number of parishes were founded near the steel mills so that the newly arrived immigrants could celebrate Mass in their native languages.
As of 2012, four parishes in the diocese still offer Mass in Polish, two parishes in Croatian, one in Hungarian, and one in Lithuanian. Fourteen parishes also offer Mass in Spanish. One parish offers a Tridentine Mass in Latin.
Serving the diocese are 105 priests, 67 permanent deacons, 10 religious brothers, and 85 religious sisters who are members of various religious institutes. These priests, deacons and persons religious serve a Catholic population in northwest Indiana of 186,420 in 73 parishes and missions.
The diocese also operates several educational, medical, and social service organizations. Educational institutions include 18 elementary schools, 3 high schools (one of which has an 8th grade prep academy), 1 college, and a Catholic student center at Valparaiso University. The diocese also supervises six hospitals or medical centers, three homes for the aged, three protective homes, three cemeteries, and Catholic Charities, Diocese of Gary.
On November 24, 2014, Pope Francis accepted the resignation of Bishop Dale Joseph Melczek and appointed Bishop Donald J. Hying, an auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as the fourth Bishop of the Diocese of Gary. Bishop Hying's installation took place on January 6, 2015, in Gary.
The list of bishops and their terms of service:
- Andrew Gregory Grutka (1956–1984)
- Norbert Felix Gaughan (1984–1996)
- Dale Joseph Melczek (1996—2014)
- Donald J. Hying (2015—present )
The Superintendent of Catholic Schools is Barbara M. O'Block.
Parishes run the following elementary and middle schools within the diocese:
- St. Patrick, Chesterton
- St. Mary Catholic Community School,Crown Point
- St. Stanislaus, East Chicago
- St. Mary, Griffith
- St. Casimir, Hammond
- St. John Bosco, Hammond
- Our Lady of Grace, Highland
- Aquinas School at St. Andrew's, Merrillville
- Notre Dame, Michigan City
- Queen of All Saints, Michigan City
- St. Stanislaus Kostka, Michigan City
- St. Thomas More, Munster
- Nativity of Our Savior, Portage
- St. John the Evangelist, St. John
- St. Michael, Schererville
- St. Paul Catholic, Valparaiso
- St. John the Baptist, Whiting
Operated by Diocese
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Indianapolis
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Catholic Diocese of Gary website, Bishop's Office - Brief History of the Diocese page, Retrieved 10 March 2012".
- "Catholic Diocese of Gary website, Bishop's Office - Gary Diocese Statistical Data page, Retrieved 10 March 2012".
- Alicea, Marisa (June 1, 1994). "The Latino Immigration Experience: The Case of Mexicanos, Puertorriqueños, and Cubanos". In Padilla, Félix M. Handbook of Hispanic Cultures in the United States: Sociology, Volume 3. Arte Publico Press. p. 38. ISBN 1558851011.
- "Survey of individual parishes from the Catholic Diocese of Gary website, Parishes page, Retrieved 10 March 2012".
- "Catholic Diocese of Gary website, Clergy page, Retrieved 10 March 2012".
- "Catholic Diocese of Gary website, Map of Diocese page, Retrieved 10 March 2012".
- "Catholic Diocese of Gary website, Catholic Schools page, Retrieved 10 March 2012".
- Donald Joseph Hying
- Our Lady of Grace School
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary Home Page
- Weekly Roman Catholic Newspaper for Diocese of Gary Home Page