Roman Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph
|Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph
Dioecesis Kansanopolitanae–Sancti Josephi
|Territory||Northern & Western Missouri|
|Ecclesiastical province||St. Louis|
|Area||15,429 km2 (5,957 sq mi)|
|(as of 2012)
|Established||September 10, 1880|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception|
|Co-cathedral||Cathedral of St. Joseph|
|Patron saint||Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception|
|Bishop||Robert William Finn|
|Emeritus Bishops||Raymond James Boland|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph (Latin: Dioecesis Kansanopolitanae–Sancti Josephi) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the state of Missouri in the United States. The bishop since May 2005 is Robert William Finn. It is a suffragan see of the Archdiocese of Saint Louis. The See city for the diocese is Kansas City, Missouri. The cathedral parish is Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception and its co-cathedral is the Cathedral of St. Joseph in St. Joseph, Missouri.
On September 10, 1880, Pope Leo XIII established the Diocese of Kansas City, with territories taken from the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Its first bishop was John Joseph Hogan. On July 2, 1956, the diocese incorporated part of the territory of the Diocese of Saint Joseph, which had been established by Pope Pius IX on March 3, 1868. On the same date in 1956 part of the Diocese of Kansas City's territory went to establish the Diocese of Jefferson City and the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau. The diocese received its present name and boundaries at that time.
List of bishops
- John Joseph Hogan (1880 - 1913)
- Thomas Francis Lillis (1913 - 1938)
- Edwin Vincent O'Hara (1939 - 1956)
- John Patrick Cody (1956 - 1961)
- Charles Herman Helmsing (1962 - 1977)
- John Joseph Sullivan (1977 - 1993)
- Raymond James Boland (1993 - 2005)
- Robert William Finn (2005–present)
- Archbishop O'Hara High School, Kansas City (established in 1965)
- Bishop LeBlond High School, St. Joseph (since 1960)
- Cristo Rey Kansas City High School, Kansas City (since 2006)
- Notre Dame de Sion, Kansas City (since 1912)
- Rockhurst High School, Kansas City (since 1910)
- St. Mary's High School, Independence (established 1853; closed as of 2013)
- Saint Pius X Catholic High School, Kansas City (since 1956)
- St. Teresa's Academy, Kansas City (since 1866)
- St. Michael the Archangel High School, Lee's Summit (opening in 2015)
- "Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Diocese of Kansas City-Saint Joseph". GCatholic.org. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- Robertson, Joe (January 24, 2013). "St. Mary’s High School closing earlier than expected". The Kansas City Star. Retrieved 2013-01-25.