Roman Catholic Diocese of Leeds
|Diocese of Leeds
Coat of arms of the Diocese of Leeds
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Liverpool|
|Area||4,075 km2 (1,573 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)
|Established||29 September 1850|
|Cathedral||Saint Anne's Cathedral, Leeds|
|Patron saint||Our Lady of Perpetual Succour
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Malcolm McMahon|
|Apostolic Administrator||Mgr John Wilson |
|Emeritus Bishops||David Konstant
The Diocese of Leeds within the Province of Liverpool
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Leeds is a Roman Catholic diocese of the Latin Rite centred around Leeds Cathedral in the city of Leeds in West Yorkshire, England. It was founded in 20 December 1878, with the splitting of the Diocese of Beverley which had covered all of Yorkshire. The Diocese of Leeds was made to cover the historic West Riding of Yorkshire, while the Diocese of Middlesbrough took over the organisation of the rest of Yorkshire.
In the 19th century, the region covered by the modern diocese fell under the jurisdiction of Vicar Apostolic of the Northern District, which in turn became the Apostolic Vicariate of the Yorkshire District, which was then elevated to the distinction of Diocese of Beverley in 1850. c.1861, the then Bishop of Beverley, Robert Cornthwaite, informed the Holy See that in his opinion, the Diocese of Beverley was too large, and in light of the expanding Catholic population, should be sub-divided into two regions. After 15 years of discussion and planning, it was agreed that on the 20 December 1878, the Diocese of Beverley be dissolved and that the Diocese of Leeds be created to cater for the West Riding of Yorkshire and those parishes in the City of York to the south of the River Ouse, and the Diocese of Middlesbrough, covering the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire and those parishes in the City of York to the north of the River Ouse. However, in 1982 the two York parishes south of the River Ouse were ceded to the Diocese of Middlesbrough to unite the City of York under one bishop. In 1980, fifty parishes in the South Yorkshire region of the diocese were transferred from Leeds to the newly formed Diocese of Hallam. The parish of Howden was transferred from the Middlesbrough diocese to the Leeds diocese in 2004.
Patronal Feasts of the Diocese
|Our Lady of Perpetual Succour||27 June|
|St Wilfrid||12 October|
- Robert Cornthwaite: Translated bishop of Leeds, 20 December 1878; died 16 June 1890.
- William Gordon: 16 June 1890; died 7 June 1911.
- Joseph Robert Cowgill: 7 June 1911; died 12 May 1936.
- Henry John Poskitt: 21 September 1936; died 19 February 1950.
- John Carmel Heenan: Consecrated bishop of Leeds 12 March 1951; translated to Archdiocese of Liverpool, in 1957.
- George Patrick Dwyer: Consecrated bishop of Leeds by Archbishop John Carmel Heenan of Liverpool, 24 September 1957; translated to Archdiocese of Birmingham, in 1965.
- William Gordon Wheeler: Installed as bishop of Leeds on 27 June 1966; retired 10 September 1985.
- David Konstant: Appointed Bishop of Leeds on 23 July 1985; installed as Bishop of Leeds on 25 September 1985. Retired 7 April 2004.
- Arthur Roche: Appointed Coadjutor bishop on 16 July 2002 with the Right of Succession. Installed as the 9th Bishop of Leeds on 7 April 2004 upon Bishop Konstant's retirement. Left office on 26 June 2012 when he was appointed as Secretary of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments by Pope Benedict XVI, with the title Archbishop, Bishop Emeritus of Leeds. He remained in Leeds as Apostolic Administrator until 27 September 2012 when he left for Rome.
|Bradford||Rev James Callaghan||St Blaise, Bradford|
|Dewsbury||Mgr Paul Fisher MPhil||St Joseph, Batley Carr|
|Halifax||Rev Kevin Firth||Sacred Heart, Sowerby Bridge|
|Harrogate||Very Rev Canon Paul Moxon||St Wilfrid, Ripon|
|Huddersfield||Rev Ian Smith BA||Holy Redeemer, Huddersfield|
|Keighley & Skipton||Very Rev Canon Michael McCreadie||St Anne, Keighley|
|Leeds North||Rev Timothy Wiley||St John Mary Vianney, Leeds|
|Leeds East||Mgr Philip Holroyd||Blessed John Henry Newman, Leeds|
|Leeds South West||Very Rev Canon John Galvin||St William of York, Morley|
|Selby||Rev Anthony Wilson||St Mary, Carlton and Selby|
|Wakefield & Pontefract||Rev Timothy Swinglehurst MA SSL||St Martin de Porres, Wakefield|
|Wharfedale||Very Rev Canon Joseph Smith||SS John Fisher and Thomas More, Burley-in-Wharfedale|
|St Francis and Immaculate Conception||Eccleshill & Idle||Bradford|
|Our Lady And The First Martyrs||Bradford||Bradford|
|St Anthony of Padua||Bradford||Bradford|
|Mary, Mother of God||Bradford||Bradford|
|Our Lady and St Joseph||Aire Valley (Bingley)||Bradford|
|Our Lady of Czestochowa||Bradford||Bradford|
|University Catholic Chaplaincy||Bradford||Bradford|
|St Teressa Benedicta of the Cross||Shipley||Bradford|
|St Joseph||Batley Carr||Dewsbury|
|St Thomas More||Dewsbury||Dewsbury|
|Sacred Heart||Sowerby Bridge||Halifax|
|St Joseph||Bishop Thornton||Harrogate|
|St Edward King And Confessor||Clifford||Harrogate|
|Our Lady Immaculate||Pateley Bridge||Harrogate|
|Immaculate Heart of Mary||Huddersfield||Huddersfield|
|Sacred Heart and St William||Uppermill||Huddersfield|
|University Catholic Chaplaincy||Huddersfield||Huddersfield|
|St Joseph||Barnoldswick||Keighley & Skipton|
|St Boniface||Bentham||Keighley & Skipton|
|SS Mary and Michael||Settle||Keighley & Skipton|
|Sacred Heart||Broughton||Keighley & Skipton|
|Our Lady of Lourdes||Haworth||Keighley & Skipton|
|Our Lady of Victories||Keighley||Keighley & Skipton|
|St Anne||Keighley||Keighley & Skipton|
|St Joseph||Keighley||Keighley & Skipton|
|Our Lady of Mount Carmel||Silsden||Keighley & Skipton|
|St Stephen||Skipton||Keighley & Skipton|
|Cathedral Church Of St Anne||Leeds||Leeds|
|Our Lady of Unfailing Help||Leeds||Leeds North|
|St Jeanne Jugan||Leeds||Leeds North|
|St John Mary Vianney||Leeds||Leeds North|
|Our Lady Of Kirkstall||Leeds||Leeds North|
|St Gregory||Leeds||Leeds East|
|Corpus Christi||Leeds||Leeds East|
|St Benedict||Garforth||Leeds East|
|St Patrick||Leeds||Leeds East|
|St Augustine||Leeds||Leeds East|
|Blessed Edmund Sykes||Leeds||Leeds East|
|St William of York||Leeds||Leeds South|
|St Mary||Rothwell||Leeds South|
|St Maximilian Kolbe||Leeds||Leeds South|
|St Margaret Clitherow||Leeds||Leeds South|
|Holy Family||Leeds||Leeds South|
|St Wilfrid||Leeds||Leeds South|
|St Joseph||Castleford||Wakefield & Pontefract|
|Sacred Heart||Hemsworth||Wakefield & Pontefract|
|St John the Baptist||Normanton||Wakefield & Pontefract|
|St Ignatius||Ossett||Wakefield & Pontefract|
|St Joseph||Pontefract||Wakefield & Pontefract|
|SS Peter and Paul||Wakefield||Wakefield & Pontefract|
|St Austin||Wakefield||Wakefield & Pontefract|
|SS John Fisher and Thomas More||Burley-in-Wharfedale||Wharfedale|
|Leeds Trinity University||Horsforth||Wharfedale|
|Our Lady & All Saints||Otley||Wharfedale|
|SS Peter and Paul||Yeadon||Wharfedale|
- "Bishop Roche Heads for Rome". Diocese of Leeds. 26 June 2012.
- Diocesan Administrator from Diocese of Leeds retrieved 10 March 2014
- Leeds, Diocese of (2012). Diocese of Leeds Directory 2012.
- Leeds, Diocese of (2013). Diocese of Leeds Directory 2013.
- "History". Diocese of Leeds (Diocese of Leeds). Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Off To Serve The Holy Father". Diocese of Leeds. 27 September 2012.
- "Parishes". DioceseofLeeds.org.uk. 1 January 2011.
- Leeds, Diocese of (2011). Diocese of Leeds Directory 2011.
- Official Site
- The Latin Mass Society in the Catholic Diocese of Leeds
- "Leeds". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.