Roman Catholic Diocese of Makurdi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Roman Catholic diocese. For the Anglican diocese, see Diocese of Makurdi.
|Diocese of Makurdi
|Metropolitan||Cardinal of Abuja|
|Area||24,461 km2 (9,444 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)
|Established||April 2, 1959|
|Cathedral||Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cathedral in Makurdi|
|Bishop||Most Rev. Athanasius Atule Usuh|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Most Rev. William Avenya|
Makurdi is located in Benue State which is shown in red.
- July 9, 1934: Established as Apostolic Prefecture of Benue from the Apostolic Vicariate of Western Nigeria
- April 18, 1950: Renamed as the Apostolic Prefecture of Oturkpo
- April 2, 1959: Promoted as Diocese of Oturkpo
- June 28, 1960: Renamed as Diocese of Makurdi
The Cathedral is Our Lady of Perpetual Help Cathedral in Makurdi.
- Bishop Williams Avenya (Auxiliary Bishop of Makurdi Diocese)
- Bishops of Makurdi (Roman rite)
- Bishops of Oturkpo (Roman rite)
- Bishop James Hagan, C.S.Sp. (1948.03.20 – 1960.03.08)
- Prefects Apostolic of Benue (Roman rite)
- Fr. Giuseppe Kirsten, C.S.Sp. (1937.02.26 – 1947)
|This article about a Roman Catholic diocese in Nigeria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|