Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen
|Diocese of Metuchen
The coat of arms of the Diocese of Metuchen
|Territory||Counties of Middlesex, Somerset, Hunterdon and Warren, New Jersey|
|Ecclesiastical province||Metropolitan Province of Newark|
|Established||November 19, 1981|
|Cathedral||Saint Francis of Assisi Cathedral|
|Bishop||Paul Gregory Bootkoski
Bishop of Metuchen
|Metropolitan Archbishop||John Joseph Myers
Archbishop of Newark
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen (Latin: Dioecesis Metuchenis) is a Roman Catholic diocese in New Jersey, centered in the borough of Metuchen. It was erected on November 19, 1981, from the territory of the Diocese of Trenton.
The Bishop of Metuchen presides from the Saint Francis of Assisi Cathedral in Metuchen.
Its coat of arms is blazoned Quarterly, Or and Argent, in dexter chief a tongue of fire Gules; in sinister base the letter "M" Azure, crowned Argent; overall a cross Moline Azure. The cross is taken from the arms of the See of Trenton from which the diocese was formed; the tongue of fire refers both to "metachen," Lenni Lenape for firewood, and the descent of the Holy Spirit; the crowned M refers to the Queenship of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the diocesan patron, founding bishop Theodore McCarrick's arms, and Pope John Paul II's arms. Its four quarters represent the four counties comprising the diocese.
The diocese counts more than 600,000 Catholics within its purview, distributed across more than one hundred parishes, serviced by 160 priests residing in the diocese, with 100 non-resident priests and 150 deacons assisting. Six hundred religious serve the schools and various organizations throughout the diocese.
Bishops of the Diocese of Metuchen (terms of service)
- Theodore Edgar McCarrick (1981–1986) (appointed auxiliary bishop of New York on May 24, 1977; ordained a bishop on June 29, 1977; appointed founding bishop of Metuchen on November 19, 1981; installed on January 31, 1982; appointed Archbishop of Newark on May 30, 1986; appointed Archbishop of Washington on November 21, 2000; created Cardinal on February 21, 2001; retired on May 16, 2006)
- † Edward Thomas Hughes (1986–1997) (appointed auxiliary bishop of Philadelphia on June 14, 1976; ordained a bishop on July 21, 1976; appointed bishop of Metuchen on December 11, 1986; installed on February 5, 1987; retired on July 7, 1997; died on December 25, 2012)
- † Vincent DePaul Breen (1997–2002) (appointed bishop in July 1997; ordained a bishop in 1997; resigned in 2002; died on March 30, 2003)
- Paul Gregory Bootkoski (2002– ) (appointed auxiliary bishop of Newark on July 8, 1997; ordained a bishop on September 5, 1997; appointed bishop of Metuchen in 2002)
† = deceased
- Bishop George Ahr High School, Edison
- Cardinal McCarrick High School, South Amboy
- Immaculata High School, Somerville
- Mount St. Mary Academy, Watchung
- St. Joseph High School, Metuchen
- St. Peter the Apostle High School, New Brunswick (closed 2007)
- St. Pius X High School, Piscataway (closed 1990)
A member of the Saint Peter's Healthcare System
- List of the Catholic cathedrals of the United States
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Plenary Councils of Baltimore
- Roman Catholicism in the United States
- Catholicism and American politics
- History of Roman Catholicism in the United States
- "Saint Peter's Healthcare System | Saint Peter's University Hospital". Saintpetershcs.com. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Metuchen official website
- Synodal home page
- New Jersey Provincial Directory website