Roman Catholic Diocese of Parramatta
|Diocese of Parramatta
St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta;
consecrated in 1837; devastated by fire in 1996; rededicated in 2003
|Territory||Western suburbs of Sydney, New South Wales|
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Sydney|
|Area||4,289 km2 (1,656 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)
307,392 ( 33.2%)
|Established||8 April 1986|
|Cathedral||St Patrick's Cathedral|
|Bishop||Anthony Fisher OP|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||George Pell|
|Emeritus Bishops||Bede Vincent Heather
Kevin Michael Manning
|Catholic Diocese of Parramatta|
The diocese is located in one of the fastest growing areas of New South Wales, Australia. The diocese is west of Sydney and reaches from Dundas Valley, west to Katoomba, south to Luddenham and North to Richmond. The diocese was established 8 April 1986 and by 2004 served 307,392 parishioners out of a total population of 924,621.
Bishops of Parramatta
The following individuals have been appointed as Roman Catholic Bishop of Parramatta:
Order Name Date enthroned Reign ended Term of office Reason for term end 1 Bede Vincent Heather 8 Aprril 1986 10 July 1997 11 years, 93 days Retired and appointed Bishop Emeritus of Parramatta 2 Kevin Michael Manning 10 July 1997 8 January 2010 12 years, 182 days Retired and appointed Bishop Emeritus of Parramatta 3 Anthony Fisher OP 8 January 2010 present 3 years, 344 days n/a
With origins of the first Mass occurring on the present day site of the cathedral going back to 1803, St Patrick's was extensively rebuilt after a 1996 fire devastated the original church established in 1854. A tower was built on the original St Patrick's Church, which was consecrated in 1880 and blessed in 1883. A cast bronze bell was installed in the tower in 1904. As the needs of the parish grew, a new church was built on the site in 1936, incorporating the existing tower and spire. When the Diocese of Parramatta was established in 1986, St Patrick's Church was designated as St Patrick's Cathedral. The fire of 1996 completely devastated the cathedral, leaving only the bell tower and sandstone walls. A completely new cathedral was rebuilt adjacent to the historic fire ravaged site. Designed in consultation with Romaldo Giurgola, the new cathedral, completed in 2003, has won the Sir Zelman Cowen Award for Public Buildings from the Australian Institute of Architects.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2011)|
- "Diocese of Parramatta". The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church. 19 February 2011. Retrieved 6 January 2007.
- "St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta" (PDF). Cathedral Parish of Parramatta. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- Crittenden, Stephen (4 December 2002). "A new cathedral for Parramatta" (transcript). The Religion Report (Australia). Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- Crittenden, Stephen (3 December 2003). "New Cathedral for Parramatta (Part 2)" (transcript). The Religion Report (Australia). Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- "St Patrick's Cathedral, Parramatta". Sir Zelman Cowen Award for Public Buildings. Australian Institute of Architects. 2003. Retrieved 26 September 2011.