Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2007)|
|Diocese of Portland
|Territory||The state of Maine|
|Area||33,040 sq mi (85,600 km2)|
|(as of 2013)
|Established||July 29, 1853|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Sean Patrick O'Malley|
|Emeritus Bishops||Richard Joseph Malone|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the New England region of the United States comprising the entire state of Maine. It is led by a bishop, and its cathedral, or motherchurch, is the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in the city of Portland.
Richard. J. Malone was installed March 31, 2004, as the eleventh bishop of the diocese. On May 29, 2012, Malone was appointed bishop of Buffalo, New York. On December 18, 2013, Robert Deeley, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Boston, was appointed Bishop of the Diocese of Portland by Pope Francis and was installed in a Mass at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Portland on February 14, 2014.
- David William Bacon (1855–1874) – Died
- James Augustine Healy (1875–1900) – Died
- William Henry O'Connell (1901–1906) – Appointed coadjutor archbishop of Boston
- Louis Sebastian Walsh (1906–1924) – Died
- John Gregory Murray (1925–1931) – Appointed archbishop of Saint Paul
- Joseph Edward McCarthy (1932–1955) – Died
- Daniel Joseph Feeney (1955–1969) – Died
- Peter Leo Gerety (1969–1974) – Appointed archbishop of Newark
- Edward Cornelius O'Leary (1974–1988) – Retired
- Joseph John Gerry, O.S.B. (1988–2004) – Retired
- Richard Joseph Malone (2004–2012) – Appointed bishop of Buffalo
- Robert Deeley (2014- ) - installed on February 14, 2014
- Daniel Joseph Feeney (1946-1955) - Appointed bishop of Portland
- Edward Cornelius O'Leary (1970-1974) - Appointed bishop of Portland
- Amédée Wilfrid Proulx (1975-1993) - Died
Bishop Richard J. Malone was installed March 31, 2004, as the eleventh bishop of the diocese. On May 29, 2012, Malone was appointed bishop of Buffalo, New York. Subsequently, Malone was also appointed apostolic administrator of the diocese of Portland; which means that after he was installed in Buffalo, he continued to lead in Portland until the new bishop was installed. On December 18, 2013, Pope Francis appointed Robert Deeley, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese of Boston as Bishop of Portland with his installation which took place on February 14, 2014.
The Diocese is currently divided into 30 Clusters/Parishes.
Located in Lewiston is the Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul. Due to a wave of late 19th century immigration by French Canadians, the church was built and expanded until 1936, by which time it was the second largest church in New England. In 1983, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places. In 2004, the church was named a minor basilica by the Holy See.
- Catherine McAuley High School, Portland
- Cheverus High School, Portland
- Saint Dominic Academy, Auburn
On Jan 6, 2000 the Associated Press reported that the Diocese of Portland had negotiated with and supported a Maine lawmakers' bill that barred discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation; this bill aimed to overcome the results of the Maine election in Feb 1998 that repealed the gay marriage law that then Maine Gov.Angus King had signed into law. The Diocese did not have a position on the Feb. 1998 vote, citing ambiguities in the law while acknowledging discrimination as unjust.  
In November 2009 it was reported that the Diocese of Portland had contributed $550,000, or 20% of the total cash contributed to Stand For Marriage Maine, a successful campaign to prevent then-impending legalization of same-sex marriage in Maine. Roughly 55% of the funds donated by the Diocese came from other out-of-state dioceses who donated money to the Diocese of Portland's PAC.
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of Boston
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Pope Appoints Bishop Richard Malone as Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Portland". Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- Current Clusters
- Money fueling battle over gay marriage — Bangor Daily News[dead link]
- Welcome to the Public Campaign Finance Page for the State of Maine
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland official website
- Catholic Hierarchy Profile of the Diocese of Portland
- "Portland". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.