Roman Catholic Diocese of Raphoe
|Diocese of Raphoe
Deoise Ráth Bhoth
|Country||Republic of Ireland|
|Territory||Most of County Donegal|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of Armagh|
|Metropolitan||Archdiocese of Armagh|
|Area||1,556 sq mi (4,030 km2)|
|(as of 2010)
|Cathedral||St Eunan's Cathedral, Letterkenny|
|Patron saint||St Eunan and St Columba|
|Bishop||Philip Boyce, O.C.D.
Bishop of Raphoe
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Cardinal Seán Baptist Brady,
Archbishop of Armagh
The Diocese of Raphoe within the Ecclesiastical Province of Armagh
The Diocese of Raphoe (Irish: Deoise Caitliceach Ráth Bhoth) is a Roman Catholic diocese in north-western Ireland. It is one of eight suffragan dioceses that are subject to the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Armagh. The incumbent is The Most Rev. Dr. Philip Boyce, D.D., O.C.D. who was enthroned on 1 October 1995. The current vicar general of the diocese is The Rt. Rev. Daniel Monsignor Carr, V.G., P.P..
The See covers most of County Donegal in the civil province of Ulster. It contains 33 parishes. The bishop's residence - Ard Adomnán - is in the town of Letterkenny. It is located beside the Parochial House, near the Cathedral of St. Eunan and St Columba which is dedicated to the joint patrons of the diocese - Saints Eunan (also known as Adomnán) and Columba (also known as Columcille).
- James O'Gallagher (1725–1737)
- Daniel O'Gallagher, O.F.M. (1737–1749)
- Anthony O'Donnell, O.F.M. (1750–1755)
- Nathaniel O'Donnell (1755–1758)
- Philip O'Reilly (1759–1782)
- Anthony Coyle (1782–1801)
- Peter McLaughlin (1802–1819)
- Patrick McGettigan (1820–1861)
- Daniel McGettigan (1861–1870)
- James McDevitt (1871–1879)
- Michael Logue (1879–1887)
- Patrick O'Donnell (cardinal) (1888–1922)
- William MacNeely (1923–1963)
- Anthony Columba McFeely (1965–1982)
- Séamus Hegarty (1982–1994)
- Philip Boyce, O.C.D. (1995–present)
- Archdiocese of Armagh. Retrieved on 16 January 2009.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 441–442. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Moody, T. W.; Martin, F. X.; Byrne, F. J., eds. (1984). Maps, Genealogies, Lists: A Companion to Irish History, Part II. New History of Ireland: Volume XI. Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. 352–354. ISBN 0-19-821745-5.
- Diocese of Raphoe. Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved on 26 April 2010.
- Diocese of Raphoe (Official Website)
- Diocese of Raphoe (Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference)
- Diocese of Raphoe (Catholic-Hierarchy website)
- Diocese of Raphoe (GCatholic.org)
- Raphoe: Profile of the diocese (CatholicCity.com, from Catholic Encyclopedia)