Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockford
|Diocese of Rockford
|Territory||11 counties in northwestern Illinois|
|Area||6,457 sq mi (16,720 km2)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||September 23, 1908|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of Saint Peter|
|Patron saint||Immaculate Conception|
|Bishop||David John Malloy|
|Emeritus Bishops||Thomas G. Doran|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockford (Latin: Dioecesis Rockfordiensis) is an ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the northern Illinois region of the United States. The prelate is a Bishop serving as the Pastor of the Mother Church, the Cathedral of Saint Peter in the City of Rockford. The current bishop is David John Malloy, who was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI on March 20, 2012, and installed as the ninth Bishop of Rockford on May 14, 2012. A diocese of the Metropolitan Province of Chicago, the metropolitan bishop of Rockford is the Archbishop of Chicago.
The Diocese of Rockford was erected by Saint Pius X on September 27, 1907 and established on September 23, 1908. Its territory of 12 counties was taken from the Archdiocese of Chicago. In 1948, Pope Pius XII established the Diocese of Joliet and transferred Kendall County from Rockford to Joliet.
- Peter Muldoon (1908-1927, Died in office)
- Edward Francis Hoban (1928-1942, Appointed Coadjutor Bishop of Cleveland)
- John Joseph Boylan (1942-1953, Died in office)
- Raymond Peter Hillinger (1953-1956, Appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Chicago)
- Donald Martin Carroll (1956, Appointed Bishop but resigned before consecration due to health problems)
- Loras Thomas Lane (1956-1968, Died in office)
- Arthur Joseph O'Neill (1968-1994, Retired)
- Thomas G. Doran (1994-2012, Retired)
- David John Malloy (consecrated May 14, 2012)
- Aquin Catholic Schools (Junior-Senior High Campus), Freeport
- Aurora Central Catholic High School, Aurora
- Boylan Catholic High School, Rockford
- Marian Central Catholic High School, Woodstock
- Marmion Academy, Aurora
- Newman Central Catholic High School, Sterling
- Rosary High School, Aurora
- St. Edward Central Catholic High School, Elgin
- Yahoo! Inc. "Diocesan Tribunal". Yahoo! Maps (Map). Cartography by Navteq. http://maps.yahoo.com/#tt=&q=555+Colman+Center+Dr%2C+Rockford%2C+IL+61108-2747&conf=1&start=1&lat=42.265808&lon=-88.963501&zoom=16&mvt=m&trf=0. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "RINUNCIA DEL VESCOVO DI ROCKFORD (U.S.A.) E NOMINA DEL SUCCESSORE" (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 20 March 2012.
- "The Most Reverend David J. Malloy". Catholic Diocese of Rockford. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Bishops of the Rockford Diocese". Catholic Diocese of Rockford. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- Kagan, David; Easton, Laurine M. (2007). History of the Diocese of Rockford. Strasbourg, France: Éditions du Signe. ISBN 978-2-7468-1816-3.