Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint Cloud
|Diocese of Saint Cloud
Dioecesis Sancti Clodoaldi
|Territory||16 counties across central Minnesota|
|Ecclesiastical province||Saint Paul and Minneapolis|
|Area||12,251 sq mi (31,730 km2)|
|(as of 2010)
|Established||September 22, 1889 (124 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. Mary|
|Patron saint||St. Cloud|
|Bishop||Donald Joseph Kettler|
|Emeritus Bishops||John Francis Kinney|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint Cloud (Latin: Dioecesis Sancti Clodoaldi) is a Roman Catholic diocese in Minnesota, United States. This diocese covers Benton, Douglas, Grant, Isanti, Kanabec, Mille Lacs, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pope, Sherburne, Stearns, Stevens, Todd, Traverse, Wadena, and Wilkin Counties. It is a suffragan see of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. The See city for the diocese is Saint Cloud. The cathedral parish is the Cathedral of St. Mary. On September 20, 2013, Pope Francis named Donald Joseph Kettler bishop.
On February 12, 1875 Pope Pius IX established the Vicariate Apostolic of Northern Minnesota. The territory, which had been part of the Diocese of Saint Paul, was evangelized by the missionary priest Father Francis Xavier Pierz. It lost territory when the Diocese of Duluth was established in 1889. On September 22 of the same year the vicariate was elevated by Pope Leo XIII to the Diocese of Saint Cloud.
The patron saint of the Diocese is Clodoald (Saint Cloud), a Merovingian prince who renounced his claims to the throne of the Franks, in favor of religious life. The diocese is named for the City of Saint Cloud, which takes its name from a French city, named for Clodoald.
- Rupert Seidenbusch (1875–1888, Vicar Apostolic)
- John Joseph Frederick Otto Zardetti (1889–1894)
- Martin Marty (1895–1896)
- James Trobec (1897–1914)
- Joseph Francis Busch (1915–1953)
- Peter William Bartholome (1953–1968)
- George Henry Speltz (1968–1987)
- Jerome George Hanus, O.S.B (1987–1994)
- John Francis Kinney (1995—2013)
- Donald Joseph Kettler (2013–present)
- James Steven Rausch, (1973–1977)
- "Diocese of Saint Cloud". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- "Diocese of Saint Cloud". Catholic-Hierarchy. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Diocese of Saint Cloud". Giga Catholic. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|