Roman Catholic Diocese of Tagbilaran
|Diocese of Tagbilaran|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Cathedral||St. Joseph the Worker Cathedral, Tagbilaran City|
|Bishop||Most Rev. Leonardo Y. Medroso, D.D.|
The Diocese of Tagbilaran is one of the 72 ecclesiastical territories called dioceses of the Roman Catholic Church in the Philippines. It is one of 2 dioceses in the province of Bohol and is part of the ecclesiastical province of the Archdiocese of Cebu. The 55-year old Diocese of Tagbilaran was established on November 8, 1941. 
The diocese covers a population of more than a half million, 95 percent of whom are Catholics. It has 171 priests and 146 nuns working in 50 parishes. 
Most Rev. Leonardo Y. Medroso, D.D assumed as the new church leader of the diocese on December 14, 2006.  Medroso is the 6th bishop of the 55-year old diocese of Tagbilaran. He succeeded the former bishop and diocesan administrator Bishop Leopoldo Tumulak, D.D. 
The Diocese of Tagbilaran was created on November 8, 1941 and made a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Cebu. On January 9, 1986 the diocese was divided into 2 with the creation of the Diocese of Talibon with seat in Talibon, Bohol, a major town on the northern coast of the island. The Diocese of Talibon absorbed half of the civil province of Bohol.
The diocese has jurisdiction over 37 parishes and 4 chaplaincies. Its population is coming close to half a million, mostly farmers and fishermen. It has 1 bishop (local ordinary), 71 diocesan and 4 religious priests, competently aided by 65 religious sisters and lay leaders.
The titular patron of the diocese is St. Joseph, the Worker, whose feastday is celebrated on May 1. It is one of the 12 Cathedrals that was founded by the Order of Augustinian Recollects in the Philippines, whose main patron is St. Joseph. The secondary patron, St. Roch, is celebrated on August 16. The diocese owns and manages a diocesan seminary, the Immaculate Heart of Mary Seminary (IHMS) located in Taloto District, Tagbilaran City, which is home to 130 major seminarians.
"The building of Basic Ecclesial Communities or BEC as communities of believers who would become active participants in the task of proclaiming the Gospel.
Communities of Renewal have been formed on many levels. The promotion of vocations is an area given special attention. In the last school year there were 200 applicants to the seminary out of which only 40 were admitted. From its gift of vocations, the diocese takes pride in responding positively to requests from other churches in need of priests. A good number of priests from this diocese can now be found in dioceses all over the country and abroad.
A Diocesan Pastoral Secretariat coordinates the different commissions, namely the commissions on worship, education, service, youth and temporalities.
Bishops of Tagbilaran
- Julio Cardinal Rosales, D.D. † - appointed in 1946; 1st Bishop of Tagbilaran
- Most Rev. Manuel M. Mascariñas, D.D. † - appointed in 1951; 2nd Bishop of Tagbilaran
- Most Rev. Juan N. Nilmar, D.D. - Auxiliary Bishop of Tagbilaran; now Bishop-Emeritus of Kalibo
- Most Rev. Onesimo Cadiz Gordoncillo, D.D. † - appointed in 1976; 3rd Bishop of Tagbilaran
- Most Rev. Felix S. Zafra, D.D. † - appointed in 1986; 4th Bishop of Tagbilaran
- Most Rev. Leopoldo Tumulak, D.D. - Ordained priest: March 30, 1972; Ordained bishop: March 16, 1982; Appointed Bishop of Tagbilaran: November 28, 1992
- Most Rev. Leonardo Y. Medroso, D.D. - ordained priest on March 30, 1963; Ordained bishop: March 17, 1987; appointed Bishop of Tagbilaran: October 17, 2006
- Diocese of Talibon
- Archdiocese of Cebu
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Seminary
- Singing Priests of Tagbilaran
- Arnold Zamora
- José Roel Lungay
- Catholic Encyclopedia: Cebu
- List of the Roman Catholic dioceses of the Philippines
- Diocese of Tagbilaran www.cbcponline.net
- Diocese of Tagbilaran www.catholic-hierarchy.org
- Catholic dioceses in the Philippines by GCatholic
- The official Website of Tagbilaran Diocese
- The Official Website of Tagbilaran Diocese
- Diocese of Tagbilaran by GCatholic
- Diocese of Tagbilaran at www.catholic-forum.com
- Bohol's New Bishop at www.boholchronicle.com
- Bishop Leonardo Medroso Blogspot
- Diocesan Commission on Youth-Diocese of Tagbilaran
- Paring Bol-anon Music Station