Roman Catholic Diocese of Tagum
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|
|Diocese of Tagum
Diyosesis ng Tagum
Cathedral of Christ the King
|Area||8,129 km2 (3,139 sq mi)|
|(as of 2010)
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||13 January 1962|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of Christ the King in Tagum|
|Bishop||Wilfredo D. Manlapaz|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Romulo Valles|
The Diocese of Tagum is a suffragan diocese of Davao Metropolitan. It was canonically erected as Prelature Nullius on Jan. 13, 1962 by Pope John XXIII, with Reverend Joseph William Regan, MM as its local ordinary. It was elevated to the status of a diocese on Oct. 11, 1980 by Pope John Paul II, who appointed the Pedro R. Dean as its first Filipino bishop ordinary, and the Reverend Ramon Villena as the auxiliary bishop.
The diocese of Tagum has always made a record especially when it comes to the number of clergy ordained yearly as compared to other dioceses in Davao, Digos, Tagum and Mati (DADITAMA) ecclesiastical sub-region.
The diocesn territory comprises the entire civil provinces of Davao del Norte (except the city of Samal, the southern portion of the Lasang River, a small portion of Davao City north of the Lasang River) and of Compostela Valley.
Religious Institute of Men
At the moment there is only one religious institute of men present in the diocese. These are the missionary priests who operated a school in Tagum City. They are called Congregation of the Schools of Charity "Cavanis Fathers" CSCH) which is housed at Letran de Davao High School, Seminary Drive,Tagum City.
Religious Institutes of Women
- Handmaids of Christ the King ~ ACR
- Daughters of Mary of the Assumption ~ FMA
- Dominican Sisters of the Most Holy Rosary of the Philippines ~ OP
- Dominican Sisters of Regina Rosarii ~ OP-Regina
- Dominican Sisters of the Trinity ~ OP
- Order of the Most Holy Savior of Saint Bridget ~ OSsS
- Religious of the Virgin Mary ~ RVM
- Teresian Daughters of Mary ~ TDM
- Joseph William Regan, M.M. † (1 Feb 1962 Appointed - 16 May 1980 Retired)
- Pedro Rosales Dean (23 Jul 1980 Appointed - 12 Oct 1985 Appointed, Archbishop of Palo)
- Wilfredo Dasco Manlapaz (31 Jan 1986 Appointed - )