Roman Catholic Territorial Prelature of Loreto
|Territorial Prelature of Loreto
Praelatura Territorialis ab Alma Domo Lauretana
Basilica in Loreto
|Area||17 km2 (6.6 sq mi)|
|(as of 2006)
|Established||11 October 1935 (78 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Santuario Basilica Pontificia di S. Casa|
The Holy House of Loreto is located in it.
Since the fifteenth century, and possibly even earlier, the "Holy House" of Loreto has been numbered among the most famous shrines of Italy. Loreto is a small town a few miles south of Ancona and near the sea. Its most conspicuous building is the basilica. This dome-crowned edifice, which with its various annexes took more than a century to build and adorn under the direction of many famous artists, serves merely as the setting of a tiny cottage standing within the basilica itself. Though the rough walls of the little building have been raised in height and are cased externally in richly sculptured marble, the interior measures only thirty-one feet by thirteen. An altar stands at one end beneath a statue, blackened with age, of the Virgin Mother and her Divine Infant. As the inscription, Hic Verbum caro factum est, reminds us, this building is honoured by Christians as the veritable cottage at Nazareth in which the Holy Family lived, and the Word became incarnate.
The Metropolitan is the Archdiocese of Ancona-Osimo. Its rite is Latin (or Roman). It covers 17 square kilometers (6.6 sq mi). Its address: Piazza della Madonna 1, 60025 Loteto [Ancona], Italia.
Its total population is 11,537. 96.2% are Catholic. There are 2 secular priests, 48 religious priests for a total 50. There is then 1 priest for every 222.
Its Bishop: Giovanni Tonucci, Prelate. Others: Gianni Danzi, Prelate (died 2 October 2007); Angelo Comastri, Prelate Emeritus; Pasquale Macchi, Prelate Emeritus (secretary of Pope Paul VI); Loris Francesco Capovilla, Prelate Emeritus (former private secretary of Pope John XXIII, later elevated to cardinal by Pope Francis).
- Gaetano Malchiodi † (25 Jan 1935 - 26 Jan 1960 Retired)
- Angelo Prinetto † (18 Oct 1961 - 25 Apr 1965 Resigned)
- Aurelio Sabattani † (24 Jun 1965 - 30 Sep 1971 Appointed, Secretary of the Apostolic Signatura)
- Loris Francesco Capovilla (25 Sep 1971 - 10 Dec 1988 Resigned)
- Pasquale Macchi † (10 Dec 1988 - 7 Oct 1996 Retired)
- Angelo Comastri (9 Nov 1996 - 5 Feb 2005 Appointed, Coadjutor Archpriest of Saint Peter's Basilica)
- Gianni Danzi † (22 Feb 2005 - 2 Oct 2007 Died)
- Giovanni Tonucci (18 Oct 2007 - present)