|Full name||Roman Nikolayevich Shirokov|
|Date of birth||6 July 1981|
|Place of birth||Dedovsk, Moscow Oblast, Soviet Union|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|FC Spartak Moscow|
|2001||FC Torpedo-ZIL Moscow||1||(0)|
|2005||Saturn Moscow Oblast||18||(3)|
|2008–2014||Zenit Saint Petersburg||130||(29)|
|2014||→ Krasnodar (loan)||6||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 30 June 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Roman Nikolayevich Shirokov (Russian: Рома́н Никола́евич Широ́ков [rɐˈman nʲɪkɐˈlaɪvʲɪt͡ɕ ʂɨˈrokəf]; born 6 July 1981) is a Russian international footballer who plays for Spartak Moscow and for the Russia national football team. He is described as "a deep-lying midfielder with an aptitude for getting forward to score goals".
Shirokov started his first season for Zenit as central back, as then-head coach Dick Advocaat was forced to fill the gaps left in the centre of defence after the departure of Martin Škrtel to Liverpool and severe injury to Nicolas Lombaerts. He adapted to the new position fairly well and featured as a centre-back in the 2008 UEFA Cup Final victory over Rangers, pairing with Ivica Križanac. In 2009 he was moved back to midfield.
On 30 June 2014, Shirokov announced that after almost 200 games in six-years for Zenit, that he wouldn't be signing a new contract and will continue his career at another club.
On July 18 it was announced that Shirokov signed a contract with Spartak Moscow as a free agent.
Shirokov made his debut in the Russia national football team on 28 March 2008 during a friendly match in Romania.
He was called up for the Euro 2008 and started in the opening group match against Spain, being deployed in the centre of defence as then-manager of Russia Guus Hiddink decided to follow the footsteps of his compatriot Advocaat, thus relegating experienced Sergey Ignashevich to the bench. This move proved unsuccessful as Russia were beaten 1–4 with Shirokov at fault on the number of occasions, including Spaniards' first and third goals. After the game Hiddink slammed his team's performance in defence and revamped the squad, leaving Shirokov out of the first team for the rest of the tournament.
After a string of assuring performances in the centre of Zenit's midfield, he was called back to the national team in 2010 for a friendly against Bulgaria. Shirokov celebrated his return by scoring his first international goal, the only one in the game that finished 1–0. He was confirmed for the finalized UEFA Euro 2012 squad on 25 May 2012. He scored the second goal of Russia's opening game of this tournament against the Czech Republic in a 4–1 win.
- List of 33 top players of the Russian league: 2013/14 (best central midfielder).
- As of 26 October 2013
|1||2010-08-11||Petrovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg, Russia||Bulgaria||1 – 0||1–0||Friendly|
|2||2010-10-08||Aviva Stadium, Dublin, Ireland||Republic of Ireland||0 – 3||2–3||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifying|
|3||2011-11-11||Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus, Greece||Greece||0 – 1||1–1||Friendly|
|4||2012-02-29||Parken Stadium, Copenhagen, Denmark||Denmark||0 – 1||0–2||Friendly|
|5||2012-06-01||Letzigrund, Zurich, Switzerland||Italy||0 – 2||0–3||Friendly|
|6||2012-06-01||Letzigrund, Zurich, Switzerland||Italy||0 – 3||0–3||Friendly|
|7||2012-06-08||Municipal Stadium, Wrocław, Poland||Czech Republic||0 – 2||1–4||UEFA Euro 2012|
|8||2012-09-07||Lokomotiv Stadium, Moscow, Russia||Northern Ireland||2 – 0||2–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|9||2012-10-16||Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow, Russia||Azerbaijan||1 – 0||1–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|10||2012-11-14||Kuban Stadium, Krasnodar, Russia||United States||2 – 1||2–2||Friendly|
|11||2013-02-06||Estadio Municipal de Marbella, Marbella, Spain||Iceland||1 – 0||2–0||Friendly|
- "ШИРОКОВ: «ОТЕЦ ВСЮ ЖИЗНЬ БОЛЕЛ ЗА "СПАРТАК"»" (in Russian). Spartak.com. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- Wilson, Jonathan (31 May 2012). "Euro 2012 Preview: Russia". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Роман Широков объявил об уходе из «Зенита»". http://lenta.ru (in Russian). Lenta.ru. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Villa vanquishes Russians". Sky Sports.
- "Advocaat announced the finalized Euro Squad" (in Russian). 25 May 2012.
- "Russia 4 Czech Republic 1". BBC Sport. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Состав национальной сборной России на ЧМ-2014" (in Russian). Russian Football Union. 2 June 2014.
- "В Бразилию без Широкова" (in Russian). Russian Football Union. 2 June 2014.
- Russian Premier League: 2010, 2011–12
- Russian Cup: 2010
- Russian Super Cup: 2008, 2011
- UEFA Cup: 2008
- (Russian) Profile at the official FC Zenit St. Petersburg website
- (Russian) Profile at the official Russian Premier League website
- Roman Shirokov at National-Football-Teams.com
- Guardian Profile