Romance & Cigarettes
|Romance & Cigarettes|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Turturro|
|Produced by||John Penotti
|Written by||John Turturro|
|Editing by||Ray Hubley|
GreeneStreet FilmsUnited Artists
|Distributed by||Icon Film Distribution (UK)
|Running time||105 minutes|
Romance & Cigarettes is a 2005 American musical romantic comedy film written and directed by John Turturro. The film stars an ensemble cast which includes James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, Kate Winslet, Steve Buscemi, Bobby Cannavale, Mandy Moore, Mary-Louise Parker, Aida Turturro, Christopher Walken, Barbara Sukowa, Elaine Stritch, Eddie Izzard, and Amy Sedaris.
Nick Murder (James Gandolfini) is an iron worker who has been married for years to Kitty (Susan Sarandon), who works as a seamstress and is the mother of Nick's three daughters. While Nick loves his wife, his head is turned by Tula (Kate Winslet), a sexy lingerie salesgirl, and soon they're having a passionate affair. When Kitty discovers the infidelity, she becomes enraged and kicks him out, forcing him to decide what he really wants from life and what's most important to him. Along the way, many of the characters periodically turn to their favorite songs to explain and amplify their emotions, singing along with the original recordings in the style of Dennis Potter.
- James Gandolfini as Nick Murder
- Susan Sarandon as Kitty Kane Murder
- Kate Winslet as Tula
- Steve Buscemi as Angelo
- Bobby Cannavale as Chetty Jr. / 'Fryburg'
- Mandy Moore as Baby Murder
- Mary-Louise Parker as Constance Murder
- Aida Turturro as Rosebud / 'Rara'
- Christopher Walken as Cousin Bo
- Barbara Sukowa as Gracie
- Elaine Stritch as Grace Murder
- Eddie Izzard as Father Gene Vincent
- Amy Sedaris as Frances
- P.J. Brown as Police Officer
- Adam LeFevre as Frances's boyfriend
- Tonya Pinkins as Medic
- Cady Huffman as Roe
- Kumar Pallana as Da Da Kumar
Production and release
Produced by upcoming New York production company GreeneStreet Films, with financial backing from United Artists, the Coen brothers and Mel Gibson's company Icon Entertainment International, Romance & Cigarettes premiered at the Venice Film Festival on September 6, 2005, followed by a showing at the Toronto International Film Festival a week later. It was first released in the United Kingdom and Ireland on March 24, 2006, quickly followed by a number of other European countries in March and April 2006. In the United States the film got a limited release on September 7, 2007, distributed by director Turturro himself, although it was originally intended that United Artists should handle the US distribution. UA still owns a financial stake in this film, but the main underlying rights are currently with Icon.
On April 27, 2008, the film was viewed at the 10th Annual Ebertfest, in Champaign, Illinois. Ebertfest is Roger Ebert's film festival near his hometown of Urbana, Illinois. Aida Turturro and Tricia Brouk were scheduled to attend the event. Ebert gave the film 4 stars out of 4.
- Romance & Cigarettes at the Internet Movie Database
- Romance & Cigarettes at allmovie
- Romance & Cigarettes at Box Office Mojo
- Romance & Cigarettes at Rotten Tomatoes
- Romance & Cigarettes at Metacritic
- Romance & Cigarettes fan page
- Filmmaker magazine interview with John Turturro