Romanov Family Association
|Motto||God with Us|
|Membership||Members of the Romanov family|
|Main organ||General assembly|
The Romanov Family Association (Russian: Объединение Членов Рода Романовых, Obyedineniye Chlenov Roda Romanovykh) is an organization for male-line descendants of Emperor Paul I of Russia of the House of Romanov. Nicholas Romanovich, Prince of Russia was president of the Association until his death in September 2014.
The idea for the creation of a family association was thought up by Prince Vsevolod Ioannovich, Prince Roman Petrovich and Prince Andrei Alexandrovich the heads of the Konstantinovichi, Nikolaevichi and Mihailovichi branches of the Imperial Family in order to strengthen the links between the family and protect it from impostors. Following the death of Prince Roman Petrovich in 1978, his son Prince Nicholas Romanovich, after looking through his father's papers found that everything was effectively in place for the creation of a family association. Prince Nicholas then wrote to all the Romanovs who had been in communication with his father and it was agreed that a Family Association should be created. In 1979 the Romanov Family Association was officially formed with Prince Dmitri Alexandrovich as president and Prince Nicholas Romanovich as vice president. Prince Nicholas Romanovich was elected president in succession to Prince Vasili Alexandrovich who died in 1989.
The association accepts that the Russian monarchy legally ended on 3 March (Julian Calendar)/ 16 March (Gregorian Calendar), 1917 with the decree of Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich of Russia renouncing the throne and recognizing the Provisional Government. Article IV-b of the bylaws of the Romanov Family Association states "The Members of the Association agree that all questions concerning the form of government in Russia and consequently also all matters of a dynastic character have been transmitted to the will of the great Russian people by the Manifest of Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich, which followed the abdication of Emperor Nicholas II on the basis of 'general, direct, equal and secret voting'."
The members of the association reject the claims of their cousin Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia that she is the current pretender to the Russian throne, for reasons detailed in the article on the line of succession to the Russian throne.
As a charitable endeavor, the association operates the Romanov Fund for Russia to raise money for aid projects in Russia.
The Romanov Family Association is an organization of legitimate male-line descendants of Emperor Nicholas I of Russia. While extensive, it by no means includes all of the House of Romanov or all Romanov descendants; Maria Vladimirovna has never joined and neither did her late father Vladimir Cyrillovich. The Association claims the title of Prince or Princess of Russia for each of its members. Members of the Association now living are:
- Princess Alexandra Rostislavna (b. 1983), granddaughter of Prince Rostislav Alexandrovich
- Prince Alexis Andreevich (b. 1953), grandson of Prince Andrei Alexandrovich
- Prince Andrew Andreevich (b. 1923), son of Prince Andrei Alexandrovich
- Prince Andrew Andreevich (b. 1963), grandson of Prince Andrei Alexandrovich
- Princess Anna Pavlovna (b. 1959), granddaughter of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
- Princess Catherine Dmitrievna (b. 1981), great-granddaughter of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
- Prince Dimitri Romanovich (b. 1926), son of Prince Roman Petrovich
- Prince Dimitri Pavlovich (b. 1954), grandson of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
- Princess Elizabeth Nikolaevna (b. 1956), granddaughter of Prince Roman Petrovich
- Princess Lela Dmitrievna (b. 1986), great-granddaughter of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
- Princess Marina Vassilievna (b. 1940), daughter of Prince Vasili Alexandrovich
- Prince Michael Pavlovich (b. 1960), grandson of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
- Princess Natalia Nikolaevna (b. 1952), granddaughter of Prince Roman Petrovich
- Prince Nicholas Romanovich (b. 1922), son of Prince Roman Petrovich
- Prince Nikita Rostislavich (b. 1987), grandson of Prince Rostislav Alexandrovich
- Princess Olga Andreevna (b. 1950), daughter of Prince Andrei Alexandrovich
- Prince Wilhelm Czernichovscki-Gottorp (b. 1943), great-grandson of Alexander III of Russia
- Princess Paula Pavlovna (b. 1956), granddaughter of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
- Prince Peter Andreevich (b. 1961), grandson of Prince Andrei Alexandrovich
- Prince Rostislav Rostislavich (b. 1985), grandson of Prince Rostislav Alexandrovich
- Princess Stephena Rostislavna (b. 1963), granddaughter of Prince Rostislav Alexandrovich
- Princess Tatiana Nikolaevna (b. 1961), granddaughter of Prince Roman Petrovich
- Princess Viktoria Dmitrievna (b. 1984), great-granddaughter of Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich
The RFA also offers Associate Memberships to the children and grandchildren of Princesses and Grand Duchesses, widows and widowers of Princes and Princesses and Grand Dukes and Grand Duchesses, as well as people who have always shown close ties to the Romanovs. At the present there are five living Associate Members:
- Mrs Xenia Sfiris née Countess Sheremeteva (b. 1942), granddaughter of Princess Irina Alexandrovna
- Marquis Ivan Farace di Villaforesta (b. 1943), son of Princess Ekaterina Ioannovna
- Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark (b. 1939), grandson of Grand Duchess Olga Constantinovna
- Prince Michael of Kent (b. 1942), grandson of Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna
- Paul Edward Kulikovsky (b. 1961), great-grandson of Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna of Russia
- President: Vacant
- Vice President: Prince Michael Pavlovich
- Prince Alexis Andreevich
- Princess Catherine Dmitrievna
- Prince Dimitri Romanovich
- Princess Olga Andreevna
- Prince Rostislav Rostislavich
- Princess Stephena Rostislavna
- Princess Natalia Nikolaevna
- Prince Dmitri Alexandrovich (1979–1980)
- Prince Vasili Alexandrovich (1980–1989)
- Prince Nicholas Romanovich (1989–2014)
- "The Romanoff Family Association". Romanov Family Association. 1998-03-29. Archived from the original on 2008-07-06. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- Flintoff, John-Paul (2003-09-19). "Lunch with the FT: Nicholas Romanov". Financial Times. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "Manifesto". histdoc.net. Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- "The Romanov Fund for Russia". Retrieved 2008-07-25.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]