Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Boban Samuel|
|Written by||YV Rajesh|
|Music by||M Jayachandran
|Edited by||Lijo Paul|
Chand V Creations
|Distributed by||Chand V Creations & PJ Entertainments Europe|
|Running time||156 minutes|
|Budget||Rs 4.5 c|
|Box office||Rs 4.6 c|
Romans is a 2013 Malayalam comedy suspense thriller film directed by Boban Samuel and written by YV Rajesh. The film is produced by Arun Ghosh and Bijoy Chandran. The film features Kunchacko Boban, Biju Menon and Niveda Thomas in the lead roles, with Lalu Alex, TG Ravi and Vijayaraghavan in supporting roles.
The film received a Universal Certificate from the Censor Board of India. The film released on 17 January 2013, receiving positive response from audience. The film was a commercial success at the box-office aswell as overseas.
Akash (Kunchacko Boban) and Shibu (Biju Menon) are two jail birds who escape from a train while they are being transported to a jail. They end up in a village at the Kerala – Tamil Nadu border, where they are mistaken for a pair of priests expected at the local church. The duo masquerade as priests, and reopen a church which has been closed for years, thereby winning over the villagers. A series of events that take place after their arrival bring about a change in their outlook towards life and society.
- Kunchacko Boban as Akash / Fr. Paul
- Biju Menon as Shibu / Fr. Sebastian also known as Fr. Sebu
- Niveda Thomas as Eleena
- Lalu Alex as Thommichan
- TG Ravi as Pappichayan
- Vijayaraghavan as Fr. Gabriel
- Arun Ghosh as Fr. Rodriguez
- Akanksha Puri as Annie aka Annamma
- Nelson Sooranad as Geevarghese
- Kalabhavan Shaju as Mathukkutty
- Kochu Preman as Achankunju, Kapyar
- Jaffer Idukki as Durai Raj
- Gayathri as Thommichan's wife
- Shalu Kurien as Gracy
- Santhakumari as Pappi's wife
- Swathi Varma as Kathreena
- Jayan Cherthala as police sub-inspector Eanashu
- Geetha Salam as the oracle
- Kalabhavan Haneef as lottery salesman
- Shivaji Guruvayoor as Bishop Fr. Idachal
- Lishoy as Akash's father
- Kakka Ravi as C.I. Vetrimaran
- Ponnamma Babu as Mathukutty's mother
- Sreekala Thaha as Jose's wife
- Sreelakshmi as Jose's daughter
IndiaGlitz gave the movie 6.5/10 stars, concluding that "Romans is targeted at the massive number of spectators who relish zany capers. If you are a member of this group, it's double the fun and guffaws this time; almost sure in leading to another commercial hit."
Sify gave the movie a verdict of 'Watchable', stating that "Romans gives the feeling that it could have been an excellent comedy, if those behind the film had put in some more efforts into it. In the current form, it would be a decent one-time watch."
Satyam Audios released the Blu-ray,DVD & VCD of Romans on 20 May 2013 .
- "Romans Arrives". Sans Cinema. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "'Romans' and 'Nakhangal' to release today (Jan 17)". Sify. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "A Roman holiday". The Hindu. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Romans on roll". IndiaGlitz. 13 September 2012. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "Romans; Cast and Crew". NowRunning. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Romans' up with fine reports". IndiaGlitz. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Romans opens to excellent reports". Sans Cinema. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Deepa Gauri. The best of Malayalam cinema in 2013 26 December 2013 Khaleej Times 
- "Movie Review: Romans". Sify. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Smitha (18 January 2013). "Romans Movie Review – It's a comic caper". One India. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Romans – These 'Romans' are just right". IndiaGlitz. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Paresh C Palicha (18 January 2013). "Review: Romans is just an average comic caper". Rediff. Retrieved 19 January 2013.