|This article does not cite any references or sources. (March 2014)|
|Compilation album by Marvin Gaye|
|Genre||Pop, soul, vocal jazz|
|Producer||Marvin Gaye, Harvey Fuqua|
|Marvin Gaye chronology|
Marvin Gaye died in April of 1984, leaving behind two albums left on his contract with Columbia Records. In May 1985, Columbia issued the compilation album, Dream of a Lifetime, which performed modestly on the chart. Little over six months later, Columbia assembled tracks from Gaye's Motown period, mostly of traditional pop and vocal jazz tunes that Gaye had recorded in the 1960s and 1970s.
Starting in 1968, Gaye had begun working on a pop vocal album with producer and arranger Bobby Short. Among the songs they recorded were "Why Did I Choose You", "More", "Maria", "Fly Me To The Moon" and "I Won't Cry Anymore". Midway through recording, Gaye, depressed over personal issues and upset over his career, stopped recording sessions with Short and wouldn't visit the work with Short for over a decade.
During the 1970s, Gaye revisited the studio and composed songs over a jazz setting, including "Just Like", "Walkin' in the Rain" and "Stranger in My Life". The song "I Live For You" was originally recorded during sessions for Let's Get It On. Having revisited his Short productions in the late 1970s, Gaye recorded several different versions of the song "The Shadow of Your Smile". In the version featured on Romantically Yours, Gaye sings in both tenor and falsetto. In addition to these songs, a song composed in the early 1960s by Eddie Holland and Norman Whitfield, "Happy Go Lucky", was also included.
Most of the songs were reworked by Harvey Fuqua, who took credit for producing the album. The album was released in November 1985, intended for Gaye's fans, rather than for commercial assumption, which was the case of In Our Lifetime. With the release of Romantically Yours, Columbia completed Gaye's contract. In 1997, several of the songs featured in a different sound culled from the 1979 sessions of an album titled The Ballads, were included in the Motown compilation, Vulnerable.
- "More" (Norman Newell, Nino Oliviero, Riz Ortolani) – 2:40
- "Why Did I Choose You" (Michael Leonard, Herbert Martin) – 2:36
- "Maria" (Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim) – 3:06
- "The Shadow of Your Smile" (Johnny Mandel, Paul Francis Webster) – 3:03
- "Fly Me To The Moon" (Bart Howard) – 3:19
- "I Won't Cry Anymore" (Al Frisch, Fred Wise) – 2:40
- "Just Like" (Gaye) – 4:08
- "Walkin' In The Rain" (Gaye) – 2:54
- "I Live For You" (Gaye) – 2:40
- "Stranger In My Life" (Gaye) – 3:41
- "Happy Go Lucky" (Eddie Holland, Norman Whitfield) – 2:35