Rome Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio
|Rome Township, Ashtabula County, Ohio|
Rome Presbyterian Church, built 1836
Municipalities and townships of Ashtabula County
|• Total||24.1 sq mi (62.4 km2)|
|• Land||23.5 sq mi (60.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|Elevation||860 ft (262 m)|
|• Density||77/sq mi (29.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085741|
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Morgan Township - north
- Lenox Township - northeast corner
- New Lyme Township - east
- Colebrook Township - southeast corner
- Orwell Township - south
- Windsor Township - southwest corner
- Hartsgrove Township - west
- Trumbull Township - northwest corner
Part of the village of Roaming Shores is located in northeastern Rome Township.
Name and history
The first houses in Rome Township were built by settlers Elijah Crosby and Abner Hall in 1805, but the first permanent settler in the township was former Connecticut resident William Crowell, who arrived in the following year.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Currently, the board is composed of chairman Eric Eland, and members Gary Hunter and Tom Gage.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Rome township, Ashtabula County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Ashtabula County, 2007. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.