Rome Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Rome Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Athens County
|• Total||37.1 sq mi (96.0 km2)|
|• Land||36.5 sq mi (94.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|Elevation||666 ft (203 m)|
|• Density||36/sq mi (14.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085757|
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Bern Township - north
- Wesley Township, Washington County - northeast corner
- Decatur Township, Washington County - east
- Troy Township - southeast corner
- Carthage Township - south
- Lodi Township - southwest corner
- Canaan Township - west
- Ames Township - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Rome Township, although two unincorporated communities lie in the township: Guysville in the south, and Stewart in the center. It also contains the unincorporated community of New England.
Name and history
Rome Township was established in 1811.
In 1833, Rome Township had a store and several mills.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Rome township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- Walker, Charles Manning (1869). History of Athens County, Ohio, And, Incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the First Settlement of the State at Marietta. Robert Clarke & Company. p. 488.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 397. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.