Romeo and Juliet (MacMillan)
|Romeo and Juliet|
|Premiere||1965 – Royal Opera House, London|
|Original ballet company||The Royal Ballet|
Kenneth MacMillan had previously choreographed the balcony scene for Lynn Seymour and Christopher Gable to dance in September 1964 for Canadian Television. This experience made him seem a good candidate to choreograph the entire ballet for Covent Garden, when the Soviet Union refused to allow Leonid Lavrovsky's classic production to tour to London. MacMillan prepared his version with the blessing of Frederick Ashton.
Kenneth MacMillan's Royal Ballet production of Sergei Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet premiered at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden on 9 February 1965. Though MacMillan had conceived the ballet for Lynn Seymour and Christopher Gable, for "bureaucratic reasons" Margot Fonteyn and Rudolph Nureyev danced the opening night, to MacMillan's disappointment. Fonteyn and Nureyev brought new life to the characters, as did the set and costume designs by Nicholas Georgiadis; Fonteyn, considered to be near retirement, embarked upon a rejuvenated career with a partnership with Nureyev.
The production was filmed and received a cinematic release in 1966.
- Margot Fonteyn, Juliet
- Rudolph Nureyev, Romeo
- David Blair, Mercutio
- Desmond Doyle, Tybalt
- Anthony Dowell, Benvolio
- Derek Rencher, Paris
- Michael Somes, Lord Capulet
- Julia Farron, Lady Capulet
- Leslie Edwards, Escalus, Prince of Verona
- Georgina Parkinson, Rosaline
- Ronald Hynd, Friar Laurence
- Franklin Whyte, Lord Montague
- Betty Kavanagh, Lady Montague
- Jann Parry, p274
- Jann Parry, p275
- Jann Parry, p276
- Jann Parry, p285
- Macaulay, Alastair. "Sex, violence, and Kenneth MacMillan" in Reading dance: a gathering of memoirs, reportage, criticism, profiles: p. 422
- "Romeo and Juliet". Kennethmacmillan.com. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Gottlieb, Robert. Reading Dance: A Gathering of Memoirs, Reportage, Criticism, Profiles, Interviews, and Some Uncategorizable Extras. Pantheon, 2008.
- Parry, Jann. Different Drummer: The Life of Kenneth MacMillan. London: Faber & Faber, 2009. ISBN 978-0-571-24302-2