|This article relies on references to primary sources. (January 2008)|
October 6, 1963 |
|Known for||Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture|
Romero Britto (6 October 1963) is a Brazilian Neo-pop artist, painter, serigrapher, and sculptor. He combines elements of cubism, pop art and graffiti painting in his work. Britto has lived in Miami, Florida since 1989. Shortly after Britto arrived in the United States, Michel Roux, founder of Absolut Vodka's Absolut Art Ad Campaign, happened by Britto's first studio in Coconut Grove, Florida. Roux quickly asked Britto to reinterpret the famous bottle, which would be published and seen by millions. Consistently challenging himself, Britto has completed other corporate works for Movado, Disney, Enrico Coveri, Pepsi, the United Nations, BMW and Royal Caribbean Cruises. Britto has one main art gallery in Miami, on South Beach on Lincoln Road.
- 1 Main works
- 2 Works on display
- 3 Special projects
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Works on display
- Welcome Monumental Sculpture for Dadeland North Station, Miami
- Star Art Star Art Foundation, Coral Gables (Miami)
- Our Guardian Angel Jackson Memorial Hospital mural, Miami
- Mural Miami Children's Museum, Miami
- Florida Museum of Hispanic and Latin American Art, Miami
- Paradise City of Miami Beach, Miami Beach
- Grapeland Heights Water Park, Miami
- Confetti Mayfair Galleria Mall, Miami
- In the Air US AIR Frequent Flyer's Club, Palm Beach
- Bean Man Governor's Mansion, Tallahassee, Florida
- California Gold California Winery Associates California
- The Nurse American Red Cross Headquarters, Washington
- The Ultimate Kid Strong Memorial Hospital, New York
- Michel Roux Carillon Importers Headquarters, Teaneck
- Growing as a Child St. Christopher's Hospital for Children, Philadelphia
- One People--One Planet The Tae Jon International Exposition, South Korea
- Medallion Swedish Wine & Spirits Corp. Sweden
- Absolut Britto II, ABSOLUT Vodka Headquarters, Stockholm, Sweden
- Dance of Hearts Ormond Street Children's Hospital, England
- Mural Pernambuco Catholic University, Recife, Brazil
- The Mariner of the Seas Royal Caribbean
- Angelo, Venus, Music, Mona Cat, Yellow Flowers, etc. Skynear Designs Gallery Washington, DC
- Montreux Jazz Festival - featured Artist of the Year, Montreux, Switzerland.
- HAPPY children's book. Released May 28, 2010.
- Global Summit of Women. Collaboration with European luxury brand MCM to commemorate their 20th anniversary.
- Kindred Spirits Help Kids. Romero Britto and Jeff Koons collaborated to help children in need.
- Project Medishare. A dispatch relief program working in association with Dr. Barth Green and the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine staff to Haiti.
- Time Warner: Best Buddies Friendship Bear - sculpture for the Time Warner Center, New York City.
- Royal Caribbean's cruise ship, Allure of the Seas, incorporates a BRITTO concept store.
- CNN Icons - features Romero Britto.
- FIFA - Britto hosts a paint workshop benefitting FIFA's charity program "Football for Hope" in South Africa.
- Wizard of Oz. Series of five paintings in celebration of the 70th anniversary of the iconic films 1939 release for the Oz-related exhibits, the Inspirations of Oz Fine Art & the Ruby Slipper Collections.jnj
- FIFA South Africa 2010 - A painting unveiled at the 59th annual FIFA Congress, first piece in the FIFA Art Collection; Nassau, Bahamas.
- Bentley Motors commissioned Romero Britto to paint their one of a kind concept car titled The Britto Bentley.
- Brazilian Aeronautical Commission commissioned a painting installed in a permanent exhibit in the Brazilian Air Force building; Washington, DC.
- Landshark Stadium - Commissioned by Miami Dolphins, owner Stephen Ross to decorate the exterior of the stadium; Miami, Florida.
- Freedom From Sorrow, photographed by Zoobs, as part of a project to raise awareness and funds for children's charities around the globe.
- Rock Art. Official artist for the Race of Champions. The collaboration incorporated Formula One race car driver, David Coulthard's tire tread marks a s a template for the painting. Beijing, China.
- Collaborate exhibit with Sabina Forbes II and Malec Fustok.
- Hotel Waldhaus Am See on the lake of Saint Moritz commissioned "Boomfish"" sculpture.
- Portrait of their majesties King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofía of Spain.
- Britto Lion presented to Siegfried and Roy.
- Presentation of original paintings and sculptures to the Royal Family of Abu Dhabi.
- Palmetto Bay public library sculpture "The Book Worm".
- Coral Springs Museum show collaboration with area high school students to create a 12" X 12" Mural for the Arts for the museum.
- Fifth and Alton commissioned by the Berkowitz Development Group, monumental aluminum sculptures. Including a 35-foot palm tree pair and a 10-foot beach ball.
- Tratzberg Castle. Count and Countess Goess-Enzenberg held an exhibit of fine art including Romero Britto paintings and sculptures.
- "Garden Butterfly", 8-foot sculpture installation in the city square of Prague.
- Miami Children's Museum exhibit. The Kinder-Akademie Fulda exhibited works by pop-artists including Romero Britto.
- First BRITTO concept store opens at Miami International Airport.
- Samsung 'TOC' Logo for new color monitors.
- Everglades on the Bay sculpture for condominium complex.
- Sculpture for White House Easter Egg Roll.
- "Roses on Parade" rose sculpture for Pasadena Tournament of Roses community art program.
- Riva 27-foot sport boat painting titled "Britto on the Open Seas".
- Grapeland Park decorative work. Britto artwork adorns the water park's fountains, slides, inner tubes, umbrellas and features "Sally the Pirate Girl" sculpture.
- California Women's Museum, Long Beach, CA, commissioned sculpture "Minerva".
- "Ali" painting for Adidas-Asia exhibit.
- Beijing Olympics - Sport For Peace postage stamp series commemorating the XXIX Olympics. Beijing, China.
- Technomarine watch collection designed by Britto titled, Britto Cruise Collection.
- Copa Santander MVP trophy designed and hand painted by Romero Britto.
- Los Arcos Mural consisting of 183,600 pieces of 15mm x 15mm glass in Mexico City.
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver presented to the City of Berlin and Anschutz Entertainment Group, on behalf of Best Buddies, the "Friendship Bear" sculpture.
- Exhibit of "Journey" at The Carrousel Du Louvre at the Salon Nationale des Beaux-Arts in Paris, France.
- Congresswoman Diana Wasserman selects "White House Christmas" to represent her state of Florida on the White House Christmas tree.
- Britto Across America Tour. Britto sculptures were displayed at 11 Developers Diversified Realty shopping centers across the U.S.
- New York Food and Wine Festival. An exhibit and events revolving around Romero Britto were held at the Chelsea Market event in New York City.
- Britto Vintage Exhibition. 1980s exhibit of Britto vintage works at Britto Central in Miami Beach, FL.
- Miami Shores Aquatic Center installs "Beach Ball" sculpture. Miami Shores, Florida.
- October Music Series at the Britto Central Gallery in Miami Beach, FL.
- "Marina's Garden" created for an education and cultural project involving children from different high schools for a paint-workshop event. Witten, Germany.
- Britto embellishes an Audi Q7 for California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and two RS-4s for an auction.
- Evian Spring Water commissions Romero Britto to design limited edition labels for its water bottles.
- South Beach Food and Wine Festival meet and greet with Romero Britto.
- Official Artist of the Coconut Grove Art Festival.
- Hyde Park Pyramid. Romero Britto constructed a 45-foot pyramid in celebration of Tutankhamen and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs exhibition.
- St. Jude's Children Research Center - One of a kind guitar painted for the institution.
- Twenty sevent, 40 foot long airport buses at Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport embellished in Romero Britto's work "The Hug".
- "Squeaki" aluminum sculpture for the Florida House in Washington, D.C.
- "For You" heart sculpture at Bay Harbor Islands.
- Monumental musical heart sculpture for the Montreux Jazz Festival commemorating their 40th anniversary.
- The Pele Project - Ten paintings in homage to soccer legend, Pele, Berlin, U3 Station.
- "Colors Around the World" book details all of Romero Britto's significant works of art in recent years.
- Ernst Beyeler portrait in honor of one of Europe's most respected art collectors sold at auction with all funds going to Fondation Beyeler
- Enrico Coveri "Britto Inspired" Summer/Spring Fashion show, Milan, Italy.
- Rotary International, '05-'06 District 6990 Governor, Mr. Owen Freed, U.S. Military Hospital, sponsored Britto phone card collection to help American soldiers, Rammstein, Germany.
- Munich, Germany commissions "Munich Lion".
- "Magnum Force" painted on live TV for Diane Magnum for breast cancer awareness fund raiser.
- Bank Atlantic Mural for Bank Atlantic.
- Steinway & Son's piano painted for Steinway & Son's 150th year anniversary.
- Official Artist of Univision's Selena Tribute Concert in Houston, Texas.
- 2006 World Cup - Univision World Cup painting to commemorate the event.
- Painting to benefit Hurricane Katrina Auction raising funds for Hurricane Katrina victims.
- Six paintings were created for the United Nations Postal Administration commemorating the Beijing Olympics - Sport For Peace.
- Galerie Ficher Rohr commissioned 20 original paintings and a sculpture for the entrance of the Basel Children's Hospital in Basel, Switzerland.
- "Welcome" - 4 story aluminum sculpture, Miami, Fl
- "The Big Apple" commissioned for the La Guardia Airport, New York, New York.
- Four sculptures were commissioned for The Big Apple Fest. 6 and 1/2 foot sculptures were on display at the Empire State Building, IBM Building, Grand Central Station and 800 3rd avenue for the duration of the event.
- Target commissioned artwork for Breast Cancer Awareness.
- Bow Wow Haus in Tampa, Florida commissioned artwork.
- Volvo signature car
- Absolut 25th Anniversary commemorative bottle.
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's Mariner of the Seas was customized by Romero Britto.
- Brazil postage stamps commemorating São Paulo's 450th Anniversary.
- Miami Children's Museum commissioned a 50 ft mural.
- Omo Commercial - product design and commercial for detergent.
- Britto designed the United We Stand Lifetime Achievement award presented to Michael Jackson.
- Variety Magazine cover art.
- Launch of Britto Restaurant which included Britto inspired menus, food and interior art work.
- Mt. Sinai Hospital commissioned mural in Miami, FL. Artwork titled "Sinai Family".
Office Depot - Britto designed inter/company announcing card.
- Designed and painted a Douglas DC-3 in Recife, Brazil.
- Designed the cover art for Michael Jackson's CD to benefit United We Stand and the Pentagon relief fund, the Red Cross relief fund and the Salvation Army.
- Enrico Coveri, Italian designer, created a line of dresses and shirt based on Britto's painting "End of Innocence".
- Britto collaborated with bathing suit manufacturer, Rosa Cha of Brazil, for a line of bikinis to be sold in over 80 locations in Brazil.
- Britto designed the wine label for Mommessin's 2001 Beaujolais Nouveau.
- TDI/Share your Life, The Gift of Life to benefit organ donation.
- Playground Maps, cover art.
- Mural for Mount Sinai Hospital.
- Four grand sculptures created for Kendall kids in Miami, FL.
- Poster created for the Presidential Council of Physical Fitness and Sports, "The President's Challenge".
- Donald J. Pliner collaborated with Britto to create a line of handbags and men's and women's shoes inspired by Britto original artwork.
- 1st Annual Latin Grammy Awards, Official Artist.
- Britto painted "Fight Night" for the Parkinsons Foundation.
- Britto designs cover for "Rheinfire" for the German Football League.
- Best Buddies International names Britto "Man of The Year".
- Britto paints an outdoor mural for Jackson Memorial hospital for the Holtz Infant and Children's Center.
- Participant in the Boston Cod Parade's "Cavalcade of Cod".
- Public exhibition in São Paulo, Brazil.
- Official Artist for the Tel-Aviv Sourasky Medical Center.
- Britto publishes 2nd hardcover book titled, "LIFE."
- Official Artist for the Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation (Russell Simmons).
- Official Artist of Kristi Yamaguchi's "Always a Dream Foundation" to fight breast cancer.
- Miami Shopping Center commissioned outdoor sculpture.
- Cover art for the Palm Beach Polo Club.
- "Chairs that Care" for the Young at Art Children's Museum.
- Participates in the Cow Parade, New York, NY.
- "Artes Plasticas, Brasil vol. 12" book cover.
- Featured Artist for the Goodwill Games, New York, New York.
- "Welcome Mr. President" 45' mural for democratic fund raiser attended by U.S. President Bill Clinton.
- "Montreux Sounds" for Claude Nobs, Montreux, Switzerland.
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist for the inductee gala.
- Doctors Without Borders - "Our World" six mile long painting in Dubai, UAE.
- Britto paints "Dance of Hearts" for the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, England.
- K.K.L. Maccabi Lizo, "A Toast to the Future" in Geneva, Switzerland.
- "Cheek to Cheek" painted for the Andre Agassi Foundation.
- Featured Artistfor the Montreux Jazz Festival in Montreux, Switzerland.
- United Nations Collector Stamps - Britto designs six individual postage stamps.
- Millennium Park Mural in Calgary, Canada.
Britto painted titled "Miami Beach". which was then made only 200 reproduction print of the original Britto art painting titled "Miami Beach".
- Ryan White Foundation - "Guardian Angel" for NEC Technologies.
- Britto paints for People en Español "Lovable People".
- Special Commission for Unicapitol, Robert J. New.
- Walt Disney Company - "Head to Toe" Disney Art Classic.
- Walt Disney Company - "Britto Mickey Mouse" & "Mickey & Friends" special commission.
- Camillus House Humanitarian Award for "Peace & Love".
- Nicole Miller designs a Britto inspired line of women's clothing and accessories.
- Britto creates cover art for "Sunshine Food", a book about South Florida cuisine.
- Mural for Jackson Memorial Hospital's Holtz Center for Maternal & Child Health.
- Christie's Auction House auctions "Mickey's Greatest Love" serigraph to benefit Best Buddies International.
- Britto paints "News Cafe" for a special cover for NewsWeek en Español.
- Walter Mercado special commission of "Walter Star".
- Walt Disney Company special commission of "Mickey's World" & "Mickey's Greatest Love".
- Brazil Design Center mural in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Britto paints "Landscape" for Fox Television Network show, Melrose Place.
- Special commission of "Mr. Ramos" by Galleria Prova, Tokyo, Japan.
- Special commission by the Jewish Federation of Orlando, Orlando, FL.
- Special commission by Seattle Children's Hospital in Tacoma, Washington, titled "Light Up A Child's Life".
- Senator Edward M. Kennedy commissions "Rose's View".
- Arts Umbrella, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Audrey Hepburn portrait for the Hollywood for Children Foundation.
- "Sunny" painted by Britto as the official mascot for the Miami Centennial celebration.
- Special commission by President Fernando Collor de Mello of Brazil of "The Colors of Brazil".
- Indoor sculpture, "The Ultimate Kid" produced for the University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York.
- Britto paints the Carl Lewis Olympic Commemorative poster for Best Buddies International.
- Monumental outdoor sculpture "Welcome" created for Dadeland Station North, Miami, FL.
- Good Morning America appearance on February 16.
- Today Show appearance.
- Pepsi Cola International commission 11 original paintings for their corporate office and advertising campaign.
- Britto creates a 300 foot mural titled "Miami Beach Romance" for Il Villagio in Miami Beach, FL.
- Britto paints the artwork "Sharing the Sun" for the cover of a South Florida guide.
- "The Best Gift: A Best Buddy" silkscreen commission for Best Buddies International.
- Three original paintings commissioned for Grand Marnier's corporate office and art campaign.
- "Seasons of Miracles" mural for the St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Amfar International "Ribbon" painted for the Amfar "Ribbon Aids project.
- "The Children of the World" watch painted for the Movado Watch Corporation to benefit St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital and UNICEF.
- American Red Cross commission of "American Woman" for the awards project.
- Special sculpture commission by Debi and Todd Shack of "Ice Skater".
- Cristina talk show appearance.
- "Miracle Rock" commission for Concert IV benefiting St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee.
- AWARE, Annual AIDS project, "Condom" commission, University of Miami, Florida.
- Signature for Sunday-By-The-Bay fundraiser, Bellport, New York.
- Dolphin Project commissioned for fundraiser, Miami, FL.
- American Red Cross, Hurricane Andrew Relief, Miami, FL.
- Earth Train USA, ten year global environmental campaign.
- America's Cup 3D promotional poster commission, San Diego, California.
- "Growing as a Child" mural for St. Christopher's Hospital for children in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Miami Auto Show, "Britto BMW", Miami, Florida.
- Three original paintings commissioned for the corporate offices and promotional campaign of Grand Marnier Cream Liqueur.
- Benihana mural commission by Rocky Aoki.
- Annual Aids Benefit, Sophia Loren chairperson, original painting commission, William's Island, Miami, FL.
- Absolut, "Absolut Britto", world wide art campaign.
- Amnesty International, "Soldier of Peace" painting commission, Artists for Amnesty, New York, NY.
Collaboration with Gilberto Freye and Rachel de Queiruz, permanent museum exhibit, Recife, Brazil.
Awards and honors
- Minkara 2004
- (Portuguese)"Homenagem a artista Romero Britto abre desfiles da Sapucaí". Reuters (Brazil). 2012-02-20.
Minkara, Ahmad (October 2004). "Romero Britto". Tufts University School of Medicine Magazine. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Romero Britto.|
- Original of Romero Britto
- Official Romero Britto web page
- Official Romero Britto Online Store
- Education & Culture Project "Responsibility Future - Marinas Garden" in Germany
- Romero Britto's "A New Day Project" in Witten
- Portrait of Romero Britto from Jörg Nitzsche, Hamburg
- Two Mundos Magazine
- Official Romero Britto Brazilian web page
- Picture of Romero Britto in Miami
- Featuring a Comprehensive Selection of Britto originals, prints and sculptures
- Romero Britto Store at Miami International Airport