|College||Fresno Pacific (1965–1969)|
|1969–1972||Fresno Pacific (assistant)|
|1977–?||Fresno State (assistant)|
|?||UC Santa Barbara (assistant)|
|1992–1994||San Antonio Spurs (assistant)|
|1994–1996||Philadelphia 76ers (assistant)|
|1998–2003||Milwaukee Bucks (assistant)|
|2003–2008||Chicago Bulls (assistant)|
|2008–2010||Oklahoma City Thunder (assistant)|
|2010–2013||Chicago Bulls (assistant)|
|2013–present||Boston Celtics (assistant)|
Adams has previously held coaching positions with Fresno Pacific University, UC Santa Barbara, Fresno State University, UNLV, the San Antonio Spurs, the Philadelphia 76ers, the Milwaukee Bucks, the Chicago Bulls, and the Oklahoma City Thunder. He has also coached professional basketball in Belgium, consulted and coached with the Canadian national basketball program, in Japan with two clubs, and with the Belgian Basketball Federation.
On September 19, 2011, Adams was inducted into the Fresno Pacific University Athletic Hall of Fame. Adams played basketball at Fresno Pacific (1965-69) and began his coaching career there as well (1969-74).
Adams is considered one of the top defensive coaches.
On August 21, 2013, he joined the Boston Celtics as an assistant coach for the 2013–14 season.
- Celtics Finalize Coaching Staff
- Ron Adams becomes an assistant with Thunder
- Mayberry, Darnell (July 12, 2010). "Thunder notebook: Nick Collison on Ron Adams' departure: "It's a big loss for us"". The Oklahoman. Retrieved July 14, 2010.
- Ron Adams Hall of Fame Speech
- Baldwin, Mike (February 3, 2009). "NBA: Ron Adams considered one of top defensive coaches". NewsOK.com. Retrieved August 13, 2013.