Ron Davies (photographer)
17 December 1921|
Aberaeron, Wales, United Kingdom
|Died||26 October 2013(aged 91)|
War years and motorcycle accident
During WWII, Davies became an official war photographer on the staff of Air Information with the South East Asia command of the Royal Air Force, stationed in India, Indonesia and Singapore. In 1950, Davies was injured in an accident on his motorcycle combination, and used a wheelchair for the rest of his life, though this didn't prevent him pursuing his chosen career.
Davies worked as a still and cine press photographer for HTV, the BBC, the Western Mail, Y Cymro and various national newspapers, and produced much private work and mounted many exhibitions. He also took a keen and active interest in teaching photography, and was the driving force behind the first mobile disabled darkroom, operated by Arts Care/Gofal Celf.
Ron maintained an un-dimmed enthusiasm for photography throughout his entire life, and during his eighties, embraced digital darkroom techniques and digital printing, although he always maintained that he never lost the sense of wonder he felt when he saw his first black-and-white print appearing in a dish of developer under a safelight.
- Llun A Chân, 1983, ISBN 0-85088-539-6
- 24 Awr Bronglais: Bywyd mewn diwrnod, Bronglais: 24 hours - A life in the day of, 1988, exhibition catalogue
- Delweddau O Gymru/Images Of Wales, 1990, ISBN 0-86243-226-X
- The Seven Wonders of Wales, 1993, ISBN 0-86243-292-8
- Byd Ron/Ron's World, 2001, ISBN 1-86225-032-4
- Arts Care/Gofal Celf is a Carmarthen-based charity providing arts training and facilities for disabled people in Wales
- "Photographer Ron Davies, from Aberaeron, dies aged 91". BBC News. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- "Teyrnged i ffotograffydd". BBC News Newyddion. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 12 November 2013. (In Welsh)
- "Photographer with love of post boxes passes away". ITV Wales. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 12 November 2013.
- Ron snaps up OBE BBC News, 31 December 2003. Accessed 12 November 2013
- Ron's World—a collection of photographs by Ron Davies at Wales Online, 16 April 2002. Accessed 12 November 2013