Ron Hughes (American football)
|Date of birth:||1943 (age 70–71)|
|College:||California State College '65|
|High school:||Charleroi High School '61 (Charleroi, PA)|
(Director of Pro Personnel)
(Director of Player Personnel)
(Vice President of Player Personnel)
(College Scouting Coordinator)
Career highlights and awards
|Honors:||Mid Monongahela Valley All Sports Hall of Fame (2007 inductee)|
Hughes is a native of Charleroi, Pennsylvania. He was a standout football and basketball player at Charleroi High School. He matriculated to nearby California State College where he played center and linebacker on the football team. He received his degree in education in 1965.
After college, Hughes spent the next fourteen years teaching biology and coaching football at the high school level in the Pittsburgh area. This included two years as an assistant coach at Bishop Canevin High School, four years as an assistant at North Catholic High School and finally six years as head football coach at North Catholic.
Hughes joined BLESTO, a scouting organization used by the NFL's Detroit Lions and Pittsburgh Steelers, among others, in 1979 where he spent the next four years as a local and regional college scout.
He joined the Detroit Lions in their college scouting department in 1982. Two years later he moved into the role of Director of Pro Personnel in Detroit. He served in that role for six years before moving up the ladder to the Director of Player Personnel, where he was responsible for the team's entire college and pro scouting departments. In 1996, Hughes was named the Lion's Vice President of Player Personnel, in essence the team's General Manager (GM). He served in that role until being swept aside at the start of the team's disastrous Matt Millen era.
In 2001 he was hired by his former protégé Kevin Colbert as a draft consultant for his hometown Pittsburgh Steelers. In 2003 Hughes accepted the position of College Scouting Coordinator for the Steelers, which he still holds.
Hughes and his wife, the former Adrianne Corno, are the parents of three children Ted, Scott and Mrs. Jennifer Antoniotti and also have three grandchildren. He and Adrianne reside in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, near Detroit.
- Steelers Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert (under whom Hughes works) played football for Hughes at North Catholic HS and later worked under Hughes with the Lions.
- Other high-level NFL front office employees who Hughes brought into the league include Minnesota Vikings Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman, Lions Director of Pro Personnel Scott McEwen and Lions Director of College Scouting Sheldon White.
- Getting to Know a GM: Ron Hughes, ArrowheadPride.com (KC Chiefs blog), January 6, 2009 (accessed-online 2009-02-23)
- Personal beef one in a Millen, Bob McGinn, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, January 30, 2009 (accessed-online 2009-02-23)
- "Hughes and Laskey Part of Hall of Fame Class" (Press release). California University of Pennsylvania. April 4, 2007. Retrieved 2009-02-23.
- "2007 Inductees". Mid Monongahela Valley All Sports Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2009-02-23.
- Bouchette, Ed (April 14, 2000). "Kevin Colbert: Steeler's new personnel boss is a man who gets things done". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2009-02-23.