Ron Jon Surf Shop
|Headquarters||Ship Bottom, New Jersey|
|Key people||Debra Harvey (President)|
|Website||Ron Jon Surf Shop|
Ron Jon Surf Shop is a surfer style retail store chain founded in 1959 in Ship Bottom, New Jersey by Ron DiMenna. The store specializes in surfing and bodyboarding equipment, and their Cocoa Beach, Florida, store is currently the largest surfing shop in the world. Debra Harvey is the current President.
In addition to the Ship Bottom and Cocoa Beach stores, Ron Jon also operates several smaller retail outlets The chain also has a licensing agreement with Ron Jon Cape Caribe Resort in Cape Canaveral, Florida. A former store in Orange, California closed in early 2009. The corporation also includes one Ron Jon Surf School separately owned and run by Craig Carroll, located in Cocoa Beach, Florida. The company made plans to construct a Surf Park at the Festival Bay Mall, the location of the Orlando Ron Jon store, but it has since been canceled, due in part that the schematics for the pool were installed backwards.
The flagship store in Cocoa Beach has become a tourist attraction in its own right. It operates 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. It has now grown to over 4 levels high, with over 50,000 square feet of retail space to shop.
In addition, at the Cape Caribe Resort in Port Canaveral, Florida, Ron Jon also operates an upscale surf n' turf restaurant called the Ron Jon Grill.
- Ship Bottom, New Jersey - "The Original"
- Cocoa Beach, Florida - "One of A Kind"
- Cape Canaveral, Florida - Ron Jon Cape Caribe Resort Hotel (Ron Jon Surf Stop - a smaller version of the big box stores, as well as Ron Jon Grill Restaurant)
- Clearwater Beach, Florida - Mandalay Ave.
- Ft. Myers, Florida - Gulf Coast Town Center
- Key West, Florida
- Orlando, Florida - Festival Bay Mall
- Sunrise, Florida - Sawgrass Mills
- Ocean City, Maryland - 67th Street Town Center
- Las Vegas, Nevada - The Shoppes at Mandalay Place
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - Barefoot Landing
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - Broadway at the Beach
In popular culture
Ruon-Jian is the name of a fictional character in the animated television series Avatar: The Last Airbender which aired on Nickelodeon between 2005 and 2008. His name (pronounced Ron-Jon) is humorously derived from the name of the surfing company "Ron Jon", as Ruon-Jian acts and looks like a stereotypical surfer.
- Ron Jon Surf Shop Company History - The World's Most Famous Surf Shop!
- "Debbie Harvey named President and Chief Operating Officer of Ron Jon Surf Shop". BoardRetailers.Wordpress.com. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Henthorn, Dawn. "Ron Jon Surf Shop". About.com. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- Albright, Mark (2007-12-12). "Ron Jon names a new big kahuna, Debra Harvey (BSBA ’76)". St. Petersburg Times.
- Wahid, Zaheera (2004-05-14). "Surf Park May Emerge as Next Wave or Be Waved Off.". The Orange County Register. Retrieved 2008-11-14.